Shall we list out Chennai temples -area wise?

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by shakambari, Jan 6, 2010.

1. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Your replies are indeed a treasure trove of info on temples in and around Chennai.

Thanx a lot,Padmini.:)

You get loads of punyam by sharing such useful info with other Ilites.

2. shakambari

Thanx for the details of temples in and around KK Nagar area,VijiKrishnan.

3. ushkrish

ushkrish New IL'ite

hi, I would like to add the following to the list.
    Puri Jagannath temple Kaanathur,near Maaya jall
    thiruvidanthai, near kovalam
    thiruvalaventhai, mahabalipuram
    thiru kadal mallai, mahabalipuram
    vaidya veeraragava perumal thiruvallur

4. shakambari

Thanx for the additions to our list,Ushkrish.

I have been to Thiruvidandhai once but not heard of the rest.

Can they all be visited in a evening? Are all on the same route?

5. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padmini

Thanks a lot and lot. You have shared very great information about the temples.

Will surely make a visit to the Navagraha temples in and around chennai as we cannot do a visit to Kumbakonam for all the temples.

Also the other temples details are nice and thanks for sharing the info with all of us.

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Yesterday only I thought about this thread. Today I am seeing this. Thank you Muthuraj for bringing this thread.
    Today I just want to share about a wonderful temple.
    Panchaishti.
    Travel base: Chennai
    Main deity: Agastheeswarar facing east
    Goddess: Anandhavalli facing South
    Theertham: Agasthia Theertham
    Sthala vruksham: Vilvam
    Other Shrines: Sidhi Vinayahar, Murugan, Navagrahams and Ishta lingam
    Special mention: Sculptural works of the Rajagopuram
    Contact: Nataraja Gurukkal / P.N.Rajamani Gurukkal – 94442 20780

The temple is located at about 30 kms from Chennai on the right side of the Grand North Trunk (GNT) Road (to Kolkatta) between Karanodai Bridge/ Toll gate and Thachur Cross road (to Ponneri). There is a gap in the Highway to cross to the right side to the temple but it is in a critical location and you have to be careful while crossing there. I receommend a safer way to drive upto Thachur Cross road, take a ‘U’ turn and come back. Just a KM more but is safe.
    Goddess Anandhavalli is made of Maragatha (emerald) stone and is present with her left leg in front and with 3 eyes. Her right eye is sun and left eye is moon. It is our custom that when we enter the house we have to put our right leg first and when we go out we have to put our left leg first in order to return successful. Here she has taken a Chathru Samhara form keeping her left leg in front in order to drive away the evil forces and the demons that had come to disturb Agasthiar’s poojas. So it is believed that worshipping her will drive away all the evil forces, obstacles and enemies of her devotees. To calm down Ambal, Agasthiar has installed a Durga Yanthram in a platform in front of her, containing the ‘Sapthasee’ manthram of Devi Mahathmeeyam that includes 700 mantras representing Durga, Lakshmi, Saraswathi and Kali. The Gods of this yantra are present in the sculptures in the ceiling of the Rajagopuram. Abirami Bhattar’s Abirami Andhadhi and Aadhi Sankarar’s Soundharya Lahari have many verses glorifying the 3 eyed Anandhavalli.
    Sorry for my long post. I want to share with you all what I have seen and experienced. You can also visit this wonderful temple and get the blessings of Goddess Anandhavalli.
    with love
    pad

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  7. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Few more.

Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam - Tnagar
    Thennupurisvara temple- Madambakkam, Tambaram
    Sri Parthasarathy Temple- Thiruvalikeni
    Thiruneermalai - Vishnu abode

Check this link out for temples within chennai
    Within Chennai Raju's Temple Visits

For temples around Chennai
    Around Chennai Raju's Temple Visits

Moderators, please remove the link if it is not a etiquette to post it here.

8. ushkrish

ushkrish New IL'ite

hi shakambari,
    thiruvidanthai, thirukadalmallai and thiru valaventhai, puri jaegannath kannathur,are all on the same route and the first two can be visited in the evenings. however thiruvalaventhai is open through out the day only on Masi magam. on sundays it is closed by 9 in the morning due to lack of archagas. this temple(near light house in mahabalipuram) is attached to kadal mallai temple which is just behind mahabalipuram bus stand.kannathur temple is open in the evenings.
    thiruvallur is a different place and the lord there is believed for curing diseases. people offer vellam in the temple tank for the disease also disappear just as the vellam dissolve in water. i ve personal experience in this. my left arm was affected by frozen shoulder and visits to doctors and pts were of no use. they resulted in increasing my pain. and my hand didnt even move from my shoulder. i offered vellam in the tank, and much to my surprise, when i was walking from temple tank to the temple which is hardly a few steps away, i noticed that my left arm was slightly swinging and without pain. from then on three/four months i got alright . thanks to god for such a help.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  9. shakambari

10. shakambari

Thanx for the guidance and info,Ushkrish.

If God wills ,I wish to go to these temples at the earliest-esp. Tiruvallur temple.