Shaktipeeths in Himachal Pradesh

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by Mona1234, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Mona1234

Mona1234 New IL'ite

Hi, I want to know about the various shaktipeeths present in Himachal Padesh and which one is the most famous of them. I am aware about Naina devi, jwala ji, chamunda devi.

I am not sure about whether these are shaktipeeths or not because considerable information is not available from Wikipedia also about them.

I also want to know the significance of shaktipeeths and what is the correct way of offering puja there?

2. HarleenSethi

HarleenSethi New IL'ite

Hi Mona 1234
    One of the best known shakti peeths in Himachal is the Jwalaji temple. It is located in Kangra Disttt. You must be aware of the legend of Sati. It is said that the burning tongue of Goddess Sati fell in Jwalamukhi. Ever since then a burning flame is burning continously. The temple of Jwalaji has come up at the spot. The temple is a well known pilgrimage spot and people flock to the temple from far and near.

3. mallika22

mallika22 New IL'ite

Hi Shefali and Mona
    I am intrigued by the legend of Goddess Sati. At the fag end of the famous Daksh Yagna, the body of Goddess Sati was split by the divine Sudarshan Chakra. The body was split into 51 pieces which fell in different areas of India.
    In Himachal, one of the famous Shaktipeeth is the temple of Brijeshwari. It is said that the charred breast of Goddess Sati fell in the temple. The temple is located in the Kangra Distt in Himachal.

4. Sanchita22

Sanchita22 Silver IL'ite

As far as my knowledge goes, Sati's tongue fell in Jwalaji, her feet in Chintpurni and eyes in Naina devi. I stayed in Himachal for 4 years as a child and was told by the locals about this. In Jwalaji, fire is burning in that place since time immemorial.

5. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Yes, I think Sanchita is right. The eyes of Goddess Sati fell in Naina Devi. Therefore the place came to known as Naina Devi from the word "Nayan" meaning eyes. The famous Naina Devi temple is in Bilaspur Distt in Himachal Pradesh. I am planning to visit the place some time in the near future.

6. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:wow great information, hope we could be fortunate enough to visit Shakthipeeths atleast once in our life time, please add and let us know more... Thansk for sharing..

7. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies
    There are a total of 5 shaktipeeths in Himachal Pradesh. These are Chamunda in Kangra Dist, Brijeshwari in Kangra Dist, Jwalaji in Kangra Dist, Naina Devi in Bilaspur dist and Chintpurni in Una dist.
    It is believed that one of the severed feet of Goddess Sati fell in Chintpurni. People from all over Himachal flock to the temple of Chintpurni to pay their respects.