1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sexual Favous for a Signature - My short story in Dinamalar

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jul 29, 2007.

1. BinduVeera

BinduVeera New IL'ite

Hello Sridhar Sir,

New to IL, but have been reading all your posts without fail except for this one :-( ( i cant read tamil fluently......:mad: , even though i'm a tamilian was born and brought up in karnataka...so learnt to read and write tamil when i was in my 10th grade , and cant read quite fluently)...You Rock Sridhar Sir...havent commented on any of your posts, but wanted to take this opportunity to do so. i like your narration style and also the practical touch to your articles.

Is there an english version of this article? Sorry to be bothering you, but if there is can you post it , so that we non tamil readers can read your article.

Thanks,
    Bindu

2. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

As you have requested, I am giving glimpses of work done by my wife in some of the problems especially the 'Sexual harassment at workplace'.

There is a famous Supreme court Vishaka judgement and as I understand a bill to prevent sexual harassment is before parliment and the following link outlines the case and you can find her (Sheela Ramanathan) as one of the participants in the consultation on the law.
    Consultation on the Proposed Bill,A National Consultation on the sexual harassment bills was held on the 23rd and the 24th of October 2004 involving organizations from across the country, working on the issue of sexual harassment at work place.

Next, her involvement in the movement against violence on women is brought out in this link. Orissa « Indian Maoist

Her work against the illegal arrest of women in Bangalore is shown in the following link. The Hindu : Karnataka / Bangalore News : Arrested women separated from their children

She had an extensive tour of Karnataka in fact finding mission on Child marriages which is brought out in the next link:
    The Hindu : Front Page : PIL seeks policy to prevent child marriages

There are many more.

Regards,

TDU

3. ruchis

ruchis New IL'ite

HI Varalotti,
    Do you have an english translation for this story ? Fans like me who cannot read this language would really appreciate
    Ruchi

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bindu and Ruchi,
    As of now I do not have one. But will soon create one for you people. Give me two days time. Will certainly do that.

regards,
    sridhar

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

That was really nice of you to bring this story to us.
    Enjoyed reading it and felt avenged. The story brings a poetical justice to the horrid sexual harassment experienced by women.
    In my cocooned life, I am fortunate not to have experienced anything of the sort first hand. I can gladly say that my daughters too have been spared such unsavory incidents till now and I pray to God that it remains so.
    I think it must be one of the vilest violations to womanhood.
    Many horrid things happen these days and one does really feel angered at such crude behaviour of humans.

L, Kamla

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear TDU,

Hats of to your wife and the human rights law network for championing for such good causes. all our support to your wife and her network.

1. Would really be nice if your wife can come out with a list of things to do and not to do when harassed at workplace or anywhere.

2. What can we do to help a cause like this.

:2thumbsup:

Love,
    Shanthi.

7. varalotti

Thanks Bindu for your nice words. As I have already told you I am preparing the English version of this story. Give me some more time.

I am happy that you have at last chosen to comment on my writings. Honestly, Bindu, we writers, thrive only on comments and reviews. That is the bread, butter, jam and life for a writer.
    Please do continue to comment.
    regards,

8. varalotti

Dear TDU,
    Amazed to see the kind of work Ms. Sheela Ramanathan is doing on the women's front. We writers do only half the job. We write, talk, make a noise and try our level best to raise the awareness of our people. It is given to people like Sheila Ramanathan to take up the matter further and actually deliver the goods.
    Hats off to her.
    I went through the links and found her work awesome. May be if your wife can spare some time to give our ladies some practical hints on this sensitive subject, it will be very kind of her.
    thanks once again,
    regards,

9. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    At last I have got the much awaited post from my dear friend. Many stories I write in bits and pieces, at times struggling for words. But this story I wrote in one go never even stopping to think for the words. The words fell in naturally as I was fuming within. And it did have an effect on the Dinamalar editors as well.
    Normally they cut down the length by at least 10 to 20%. This time they cut down another short story (usualy the weekly supplement carries two stories) and printed my story without even changing the proverbial fullstop and the comma.
    I am very happy for you to learn that you and your girls have been spared from this humiliation. It is a blessing, no doubt. But to an extent if a woman sends strong signals, that she is a no-nonsense woman, men are afraid to go near her. I have seen it in many cases.
    So one practical advice to women on this issue is to have great internal strength and more importantly send powerful signals about that strength to the men who come in contact with them.
    Thanks for your participation, Kamla.
    Love,

10. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanti,

Thanks for your compliments and I shall pass on them on to her. Sure, I will request her to come to this forum and discuss more on this issue. Meanwhile, here is an article which analyses thouroughly and tells what to do and what not to do in the matter of sexual harassment at workplace. As I have mentioned earlier there is a law to prevent sexual harassment before parliment for its approval as I understand. This article has been published in 'Combat Law' journal in which my wife is in the editorial board.

Identify/Recognise Harassment Ask yourself the following: - Do I consent to the behaviour? - Does the behaviour make me uncomfortable? - Does the behaviour violate my dignity as an individual? - Does it violate my right to work in dignity in a safe working environment? <hr color="red" size="1"> Do not blame yourself. Don't ignore sexual harassment in the hope that it will go away.

Workplace sexual harassment, from Volume 2, Issue 3, of Combat Law

Regards,

TDU

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007