1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Severe Insomnia Help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by vidukarth, Mar 23, 2021.

1. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I am going through severe imsomnia, ever since covid started. I am usually a late sleeper and goto bed around 11:30 pm or so, since it gets busy after work, helping kids with school work, after school activities, dinner, cleaning and calling parents and in laws back home every night. So it got to a point where we can never be in the bed that early. Prior to covid somehow i would sleep and get a good 6-7 hours sleep. But not sure what happend in the last year, i hardly sleep easily and manage to sleep 4-5 hrs with waking up many a times in between. I have in my subconscious mind every day that will i sleep tonight? This haunts me, i tried reciting slokas, listening to music, stories, but not much help. I know am not supposed to look at the clock or think about it, but not able to get over it. There are days I sleep for 2 hours with waking up in between and feel so tired next day. With office work and kids, find it so hard to focus and feel shaky. Since I am awake i feel like using the rest room many a times. I tried to do kasa kasa (poppy seeds) in milk, nutmeg powder, coconut oil in feet remedies, but not much help. I am not able to do much exercise outside since it is cold where am, but do basic activities at home and keep walking. I did not try meditation yet, since need guidance and am not able to stay focused. I just want to vent it out here and see if anybody went through this kind of thing and was able to over come it. Am in my late 30s and find it hard and very worried to be like this and dread every night.

2. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Hi OP I had the same issue after covid started.What helped me is eating light at dinner around 7 PM.I am in early 40s and had tried everything as mentioned in the ema.But my evening diet change helped me a lot.whenever i eat late and too full i dont get sleep.my metabolism has changed in the past 1 year.

3. vidukarth

Thanks, I will try doing that for sure. I am in a state to try anything to help with my sleep.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

Pls check your magnesium and vitamin D levels. These deficiencies play a vital role in insomnia.

SKoundinya and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. vidukarth

Thank you, will check it.

6. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

if you can try to workout in the morning , like a heavy workout. this has helped me. evening workouts sometimes end up energizing me more than tiring me.

Thyagarajan and vidukarth like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

The best way to deal with it is “surrender”.

Mind is the most powerful organ and it cannot be controlled.We need to Trick it.

Accept to your mind that you cannot sleep and be okay with it.Don’t watch tv or try to do anything.Just lie in your bed,close your eyes and Let your mind wander and think whatever it wants.Set it free..

Do not force your mind or body to do something.

TRUST ME..sooner or later you will fall asleep.

Within few days..all will be well:)

Try this and let us know.

Thyagarajan, shreepriya and vidukarth like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Hi @vidukarth,

I don't think you need any more physical exertion than your domestic activities and walking. As you are already waking up early, you could probably visit the nearest gym. Another option is to take up yoga at home by learning it properly. It is important to do the postures right, as wrong postures could cause pain. Sometimes, what runs in your subconscious mind which works 24/7 could cause insomnia. You need to find out many ways to relax your mind. Taking early dinner was already suggested by another ILite. After 6 p.m, you need to begin winding down your mind and focus on calming the mind. No stressful thinking should be taken up after 6 p.m. Avoid difficult calls after 6 p.m. Sometimes, even extended family calls in the evening may be stressful. Reading something very interesting or watching something that helps you calm the mind would be invaluable. I have the habit of shutting down my phone at 9:45 p.m. and go to bed at 10:30 p.m. I read spiritual books that calms my mind so much. You are too young to suffer from insomnia. If you have the habit of going to bed at 11:30 p.m., you need to begin winding down at 10:30 p.m. 7 hours of sleep is a must which allows the body and mind to recoup the energy levels. If you are able to meditate, try and capture the dominant thoughts in your mind that reappear again and again and try to ease that out by positive affirmation. Divert your mind to pleasant experiences in your life when you are lying in bed wide awake which may induce sleep. I am not a physician and I believe from how you described your problem indicates that you have a higher stress level. Work on finding what is stressful (sometimes it is hidden deep inside the subconscious mind) and you will find a way to sleep well.

Thyagarajan, radv and vidukarth like this.
  9. vidukarth

Thank you lavani and anika, will definitely try to follow what you both suggested.

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Melatonin can help.
    If your lack of sleep is affecting your quality of life then consult your doctor.