1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Severe Hair Fall For Last 3 Years. Collagen Peptides/biotin Helpful?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gknew, Nov 3, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I know there are lots of posts about hair fall. I just want to ask that anyone have prolonging hair fall issue.
    I was having a nice thick long hair when I was in India. Moved to USA 4 years back.
    I started noticing hair fall in early 2017. Since then I have been to doctors and nothing helps. Been to obgyn,pcp and dermatologist.
    I am losing a huge bunch of hair everyday. It's like, when I run my finger over,I will get atleast 50 to 60 strands without brushing my hair.
    I lose 200+ during hair wash.

I have changed my water filter too for the shower. Nothing helps.
    I have vitamin d and iron deficiencies. Taking supplements for that. Vitamin d deficient since 2017. Value didn't increase much even after supplements.
    2017 - 11.8
    2018- 12.1
    2019- 18
    2020- yet to check. Taking supplements.
    I tested iron only in 2019 annual and or read low. Taking supplements on and off since dec 2019. Didn't recheck though.

B12- low normal range. Not taking any supplements.

Are these 2 deficiencies cause hair fall?
    One of my friend told me to try biotin any collagen peptides. I haven't tried those yet. Anyone tried that and seen any improvement?

I am planning to see a rheumatologist too to check if any autoimmune or lupus. My obgyn said that lupus might cause hair fall. And she tested me for lupus and it was negative.

I don't know if it's because of water in usa or any internal issues. It's started only after I move to usa and after 7 months of moving.

I even cut my hair to Bob cut now. Because I feel so frustrated with this hair fall issue and seeking a bunch of hair around the house. So did a bob cut. I really need some relief from this hair fall issue. Struggling to get a proper solution.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Have you tested your thyroid?

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Tested during my last physical @MalStrom. My pcp tested for tsh, total T3 and T4 . Those are normal.
    I got to know recently that we have to check for free t3 and free t4. I haven't tested that before. I am planning to ask those with my PCP again.

4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I read that Vitamin D deficiencies alone can lead to hair fall. The numbers look very low. It should be above 50 for better health condition. The lower limit should be atleast 30 if i remember correctly.
    Are you taking D2 or D3. D2 is slow compared to D3, I think . My numbers were very low ,close to 9.. it took much time to get it normal. I used cod liver oil capsules, a natural source to increase D too...look like your body is not absorbing it...May be a doctor can give better idea.

gknew likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

What was your TSH level? I strive to keep mine at or below 2.5. I take a daily multivitamin, Vitamin D3 (better absorbed than D2) and biotin. Iron supplements I take for a month on and month off, since I don’t want it to be too much. I’m personally skeptical about collagen but it can’t hurt to try.
    To some extent it will also depend on your genes. I take after my father’s side and he and all his sisters had gorgeous, impossibly thick hair when they were young. My father is almost bald now and the women also have thinning hair as they age so I am resigned to what will happen.

gknew likes this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

@MalStrom yeah .You are right. D3 absorbs better. I was taking D2 for an year and my value didn't increase at all. I don't know if we need to check every 3 months. So far, I have checked only during annual and taking supplements on and off the whole year. I am taking iron supplements for last ten months now on and off. I didn't recheck iron and vitamin d values yet.

I am taking 350mg iron supplements twice a day and 50000iu D3 a week.
    What biotin supplements are you taking? I haven't tried biotin yet. Read that it's good for hair and nails. I have so brittle nails. Thought of trying biotin. Do we need to try prescription biotin or otc ones?
    My tsh value is 3 last year. Is tsh value more important for thyroid diagnosis than t3 and T4?
    Iron Your Value 54 ug/dL
    Standard Range 27 - 159 ug/dL
    Iron Saturation
    Your Value14 % Standard Range15 - 55 %

TSH Your Value 3.010 uIU/mL
    Standard Range0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL

1/11/17
    12/14/17 10/30/19
    TSH
    2.460 /1.920/ 3.010 previous year readings.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

That level of TSH sounds good. It’s hard to find a doctor who will delve into thyroid issues, even endocrinologists.
    I take D3 and biotin from a brand called Sports Research. I buy on Amazon. Biotin can cause acne and breakouts as a side effect in some people. Vitamin D takes a long time to get into the normal range.

gknew likes this.
  8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

@DDream ,
    Thank you.
    I was taking prescription D2 for an year. It didn't increase my value at all. I was still at 11. Then I changed to OTC d3 ones. I am not using prescription d2. My PCP prescribed only d2.
    I also read that liquid ones will be absorbed more faster. I am using liquid d3 now.
    Yeah, the normal range starts from 30, but recommended to have values as 60+.
    What is cod liver capsule? Haven't heard of it before. Is it an otc one?

Yes, my body is not absorbing it. My PCP told me that. She said few will take time to get it absorbed. But I have lower values for past few years. How long does it take for you to get back to normal?

9. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you.
    I will try biotin. Do you see any difference in your d values after taking biotin? Does it help in increasing vit D?

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

No, no correlation between biotin and D. I had to take D3 for a couple of years before I started seeing improvements.

gknew likes this.