1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Severe cough 9 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by tuliplady, Feb 16, 2013.

1. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

My son has caught severe cough and cold. I was sick all of last week and he seems to have got it because of exposure to me.

He could not sleep all of last night. I am taking him to a doctor now, but any home remedies will be useful.

Thanks a lot.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I used to follow these:

Apply baby vicks on feet and cover with socks.
    Add a drop of eucalyptus oil to a pot of oiling water and keep it in the room for sometime. No direct inhalation. Just allow the smell to spread to the room.

1 person likes this.
  3. muthu21

muthu21 Gold IL'ite

hi
    i agree to what ramya mam said, my ped usually say " for *month old baby we cant like go for this and that medicine. so best reliving strategy is vapourising"
    give him more fluid. use nasal drops on and off, try removing the mucus possible.
    hope he gets well soon. take care.

1 person likes this.
  4. OBrientjgmg

OBrientjgmg New IL'ite

Hi,

The vicks is a good suggestion - you can apply baby vicks on chest and back as well and cover the child with a sheet - make sure the fan or the air conditioner is switched off for about 1hr. It clears the nasal passage and also helps with the cough. Plain steam vapourising done directly is also one of the suggestions the doc gives - w/o any vicks or eucalyptus oil. Hope your son gets better soon.

Cheers...

1 person likes this.
  5. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

Poor baby, hope he feels better soon.

I agree, Vicks is the way to go. I used it when my daughter had bronchitis and a double ear infection at ten months old. Dr gave amoxicillin for the ears and told us to use Vicks ointment and eucalyptus or menthol oil in hot water as a vaporizer type thing for the cough.

I normally use a waterless vaporizer that uses vapo-pads, but when a cold is prolonged or the kids are really congested, that can add up and be really expensive. Eucalyptus oil in a sink of hot water during bathtime helps (not in the bath, just in the room) and putting a bowl of that in the room at bedtime helps through the night.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  6. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Thanks all..The cough cold has gone after 10 days!! I did a bunch of things dont know what worked:
    1. Inhalation
    2. Adding eucalyptus to his bath water
    3. Mixing turmeric in few ml of BM
    4. A decoction of tulsi+clove+cinnamon+pepper
    5. warm water sips
    6. Nasal aspiration
    7. Crocin drops!

Phew..After all this..now he is cutting his first tooth..Actually 3 teeth but one tooth is almost erupting from his gums. He has been crying non-stop for past 1 hour..its 2:20 AM as I write this. Dont know what else to do..I gave him infant crocin. Cool teething ring does not work. He had been weaned off his night feeding, but only thing that settled him now is a bottle of milk. Please help! Poor guy is in lot of pain..

7. LunaDoveDesigns

Cool chamomile tea (without honey, since he is younger than a year) rubbed on the gums worked for my youngest. So did a Baltic amber teething necklace, but your mileage may vary in that. It doesn't work for all kids. My big kid needed teething gel because he cut four at a time and nothing else worked.

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sorry I saw this so late!! Did you give him Tylenol? What does crosen do? Is it for pain?
    If its for pain, I suggest give telenol. Let him rest a bit. I know you don't want medication but since he is in so much pain, I suggest give him Tylenol or Advil. In the morning, get some orajel.

Hugs to you and him.

9. LunaDoveDesigns

Google suggests that Crocin and Tylenol have the same active ingredient. I'm not familiar with Crocin because it isn't sold in the US (at least not that I know of), so I had to look it up.

Tuliplady, I know it's hard on him and you, but once the top of the tooth is through, he'll feel much better. I hope he feels better soon! Teething is no fun!

10. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Crocin is brandname for "Acetaminophen/Paracetamol" in India. So the same thing as Tylenol.

Well, the cough and cold is back to haunt us. This time the coughing is more..poor kid. We used a nebulizer past 2 days. Dr. put him on an antibiotic-Cepahlosporin. Also gave him a couple of OTC cough syrups. I was hesitant at first but seeing his pain., decided to give those.
    Nothing seems to be working. His cold seems to have reduced but I am not sure of anything else that might work.
    So many elders are advising to use honey, but I am skeptical..Dont know what to do to ease LO's pain..