1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

severe cold and cough and mucus.. any home remedy?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, Nov 17, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends,
    my 15 months LO is suffering from cold and cough from past 2 weeks. There might a day or so when it is less severe but usually she is coughing up whole night. She does not know how to spit out her mucus and swallows it back. Morning she wakes her ..I can hear her chest filled with mucus when he coughs up bad and her nose is always running with thick mucus which is painful to see.

she does not accept any things. I trying forcing honey into her tongue.. and haldi in her milk ..nothing owrks so far.
    Should I go to doc for antibiotics again? We had visit last week ..she was checked for ear infections then. We gave her tylenol once/twice. I never tried other OTC for cold/cough on her yet.

2. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

hi
    infant vicks on the baby chest n neck and regular vicks on feet.

benadryl syrup 5ml every 6hrs.

Thank you,
    vani

3. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

Infant Vicks in less amount and massage very often . In us they don't give any medication for cough n cold to infant .. And honey I would say no for 15 mon ..

its hard to swallow for her ..

1 person likes this.
  4. VijayaRaghu

VijayaRaghu Silver IL'ite

Run cool mist humidifier full night. It makes a lot difference for my little one. I wont skip not even one night.

5. rcvmegas

rcvmegas Senior IL'ite

Try hot steam....
    infants will not know how to take hot steam.
    take ur dd to a bath room which is small enough to hold the steam inside.
    turn on the hot water shower and let the water run in the bath tab.
    let the steam circulate in the bath room...ur dd will eventually inhale.
    dont enter the tub, just sit nearby...water would be hot enough...please take some caution to not let ur dd very close to the tub.
    you can put a chair and offer ur little one some toys to keep her engaged. spend 10-15 mins and try 2-3 times a day.

infants with chest congestion will not drink or eat anything. if you are a non-vegetarian you an try clear chicken soup and light pepper. offer her warm water.

if its a dry cough, honey and ginger juice in equal quantities will help. just 3ml should be enough. if she refuses try to offer her in a syringe. hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanjuruby3,
    It the weather and virus in the air. My Ds has been through the same thing for last 4 weeks. This what I did.

1. Reduced Dairy (milk only once a day, with 50% water, No cheese till cough subsides, no yogurt or fruit after 4pm). Dairy was causing vomiting for him so i reduced. For some its fruits so keep an eye on food that increases her cough.

2. Milk would be warm and turmeric milk with pepper, cardamon and honey.

3. Jaggery instead of sugar.

4. Gave zarbee's cough syrup. You can try children's benadryl too.

5. Applying baby vicks on chest, back, neck and on nose. Sleeping on elevated position with humidifier on.

6. Clearing the nose using saline drops and nasal aspirator (I am using nose frida)

7. Along with all these i am also using homeopathy (prescribed by doctor)

Hope this helps.

7. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Benadryl is not recommended for such small kids and 5ml is high doses for even three years old

8. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

My son had bad cough and cold from last week .its viral season these days n kids gets be virus in daycare n schools.
    Firstly don't try otc cough n cold medicine for such small kid.
    You can reduce milk as milk can cause mucus production in kids , if you want to give milk add some turmeric and honey or boil with a cardamom and add some honey.
    Give lots of clear liquids, soups, stews etc.they loosen the mucus n give nutrition also.
    Steam helps a lot, as someone suggested try steamy bathroom else one more trick my doctor suggested , take some warm water and dip a towel in it and squeeze it nicely then put it on your child's mouth and ask them to breathe it helps a lot as you give warm humid steam which clears the nasal passages
    Humidifier also helps a lot , in my sons after visit summery they told to fill humidifier with warm water and let the kid breather that air.
    Eucalyptus oil on chest and back alsi helps them to sleep better.
    Elevate your kids head, put a extra pillow that way they can sleep better.my son would sleep nicely in his car seat and not cough at all.
    Besides all this I would also.say show to the doc again my son had croup which started as cold and became barely cough and then he started wheezing. It was good we took him to urgent care and he got medicine for croup and also doc put us on nebulizer which relieved him so much.
    Hope your little one gets well soo . , its tough as a parent to see those little sweetheart suffer so much.

9. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

ho kk thanks

10. rituagarwal

rituagarwal New IL'ite

Hi...I HV gone through with condition many times.... It happens until the baby is 5 year old generally....first she need a antibiotic (azithromycin).... Apply Vicks on foot n make her wear cotten socks at night .she ll sleep very nice and stop coughing at once..make her sleep little up position put 2 pillows under her head so she can breath proper. Give little ginger juice with honey and little turmeric..it will stop the runny nose. Morning cough is normal becoz mucus comes up in lying position . but she really need azithromycin and cetrazine.....but plssssssss consult to pediatrician before giving any medicine..put nasal drops and apply eucalyptus oil on her clothes or pillow so she can sleep peacefully.

1 person likes this.