1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Setting Healthy Boundaries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

What is a boundary? A boundary is a definite place where our responsibility ends and another person’s responsibility begins. It stops us from doing things for others that they should do for themselves. Why do we need to set healthy boundaries? It is because, a) each one of us has come with our own agenda and in order to pursue our goal, we need space, b) it is important for our psychological growth and spiritual liberation, c) our introspection must be done which contributes to our personal growth, d) setting boundaries for others help us understand and respect the boundaries of others and lastly e) migration from independent to interdependent stage is easier when we have boundaries.

Our personal boundaries protect our inner core, identity, and our right to choices. The first step in setting boundaries is to know and understand ourselves. Self-care is an essential need for us to pursue happiness. It might involve physical, emotional, social, personal, financial, and spiritual independence. In every friendship/relationship, open communication plays an important role. Once this happens, we begin to have trust & support each other. It is also imperative to set boundaries if we like to have a fair and free friendship/relationship.

Every boundary has three stages. In case of physical boundary, we have comfortable, intolerable and abusive stages, in emotion boundaries, we have convenient, questionable and violative stages, in psychological boundaries, we have dignifying, dominant and fearful stages and lastly in spiritual/intellectual boundaries, we have knowledgeable, incoherent and conflicting stages. We have come across so-called saints locking up devotees crossing all the boundaries mentioned above. Even boundaries keep growing more when we move from our space to family to friends to acquaintances to community and finally strangers.

How do we find whether we have healthy or lack such boundaries? If we say “no” without guilt, ask what we want or need, take care of ourselves, saying “yes” only when we want but not out of obligation or to please someone, conduct according to our own values and beliefs, feel safe to express difficult emotions and have disagreements, feel supported to pursue our own goals, treated as equal, take responsibility for our own and not responsible for other’s happiness, in tune with our own feelings and know who we are, what we believe, and like.

On the contrary, if we lack boundaries, we fail to speak up when mistreated, give away too much of our time, we agree when we actually feel like disagreeing, feel guilty for dedicating time for ourselves, feel taken for granted by others, have toxic relationships, have chronic fear about what others think of us, share too much details about our life with others, feel like a victim constantly and attract people who try to control or dominate us.

We need to define the boundaries, communicate it clearly to everyone around us, explain it simply without any regret or over-explain your boundaries and lastly set consequences if someone violates such boundaries. Even when we are in social media, we need to be aware of the environment in which we mix, understand who we are connecting with, who we really engage in response to their posts and finally what we share with others.

Lastly, giving away the key to our happiness to someone else is a red flag. We cannot let someone else control our lives. The world is round so that friendship/relationship may encircle it. Even some part of our life is controlled by someone, it is a problem. The best friendship/relationship runs parallelly like railroads. It can run for miles without stepping on each other. That is truly a good sign of friendship/relationship where the boundaries are drawn and well understood.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

I read it two three times and find it a little confusing. As you said all boundaries can be good, bad and worse in simple words.
    My question is, why have boundaries in the first place? Are we not bonded already? Each individual is different and unique in his or her own way but the only way to survive is adjust and adapt. We have body but it needs sustenance to stay for which we have to act in cooperation and coordination with others, including nature.
    I think we need more openness and few boundaries.
    Just a thought.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

I didn’t say every boundary is good, bad and worse. I was only describing stages of boundary such as convenient, intolerable and abusive. They are not walls with iron doors with locks preventing others from establishing relationship with us. They are just fence protecting our core values and principles not letting anyone to walkover us. In my view, they are essential. I am not suggesting that we should not adjust or adapt with others. At the same time, there may be somethings we may not be able to compromise.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

That is a nice write up on setting boundaries. I am sure we all have relationships where we go beyond and do things. But generally being aware of ourselves helps us understand what works best for us and others. I have some friends who work with me deliberately help me say no - they ask for things on purpose and expect me to say no and cheer me when I do that :) It could be a cultural habit, you know most of us may not be able to say no and end up saying "lets see what can be done!" This setting of boundaries becomes very important especially like you said if we do it without guilt or fear - it is a such a relief to live an authentic life.

Thank you for that wonderful reminder.

5. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

You said it better than what I did in my earlier response. As you said rightly, saying no is the hardest part as we are used to saying "Yes" or say "no" in a roundabout way. Anger, Fear and Guilt are the three factors that destroy our growth and development. Emotionally, we should not feel anything when we say "No" with a clean heart. If we say "Yes' to something we should have said "No", then, we spend a considerable amount of time regretting that decision and it takes away a lot of our time.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    I simplified words convenient to good, intolerable to bad and abusive to worse. What applies to us, applies to others also. If I am not comfortable with some habits of a friend of mine, so may he is not comfortable to some habits of mine. But we maintain the friendship because we have many things in common. These commonalities do not allow us to draw boundaries. These are about emotional and psychological boundaries. In our family and social behavior we create these boundaries at time perforce but mostly willingly governed by our ego.
    Spiritual boundaries can be entirely different issue because so much of belief is involved. In fact, there can be and should not be any spiritual boundaries because all humans are the product of same universe, which itself is limitless with no boundaries that we know of. The more we are in a position to expand our boundaries the faster we may come closure to nature. Nature has given us so many gifts and have set no boundaries or preference.
    In our family and social behavior we make these boundaries willingly or are perforce.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. HariLakhera

On a lighter side, allow me to narrate a innocent talk. My grandson was about to get a new smart phone and I asked him, now that you are getting a latest smartphone, can you pass on your old phone to me? And he said-'maybe'. Next to me was sitting my grand daughter and she whispered in my ears-'maybe' means 'no'.

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Srama like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

She is a smart cookie...
    Already knows maybe is a no! She will go places :)

9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    A thought provoking snippet on boundaries.My neighbour auntie on many occasions spoke about 'hello-hello' or elbow level relationship so that it will last for ever.
    As Corona is fast spreading,it may be practical and advisable to have boundaries, even if we had not had it earlier.People in today's world may not struggle to have boundaries as it is the prevailing concept today.
    When I was just reading this snippet of Viswa I happened to see his response to madam Srama's snippet on invisible strings

"God installed a strong desire in our lives to aspire to be happy. That happiness we seek can never be enjoyed unless we share it with others. We can successfully share it with others and make them enjoy our happiness only if we are ready to receive and feel their happiness. When we understand this concept, we begin to enhance our circle and shower love to everyone we come across and when we reach a stage where we radiate with love for all beings, we become complete and happy. Until then, we remain work-in-progress."

Viswa
    Does this response in any way contradict what was stated in 'boundaries ? 'To me it appears to be breaking down of boundaries and expanding of our relationship.'Enhancing the circle and sharing happiness' suggested by Viswa ,
    seem to my little knowledge and understanding differ from setting up boundaries.I am always for correction.This may be treated as acdemic discussion only and not as contradicting.
    jayasala 42

10. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

I always welcome your comments and suggestions. Boundaries are a little different from enhancing our circle and shower love to everyone. For example, showering love to the husband's family enhances a woman's relationship with that family. At the same time, it is her responsibility to maintain her self-respect so that she is not treated as a doormat as it would affect that relationship. Loving the spouse with the whole heart is strengthening the relationship but letting the spouse abuse is weakening the relationship.

Even here in IL, we write to each other respecting our boundaries when someone presents their personal problems asking opinions from other members. Many members respectfully suggest steps to solve the problem without stepping into the toes of the original poster. When a handful, begins judging the member who asked for the opinion, other members correct him/her reminding the boundaries one can't cross.

Loving a person is not the opposite of setting boundaries, in my view. In fact, it strengthens love for one another.

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.