1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Setting boundaries...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by tikka, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

ohhh how did i miss this thread?? :))))) I have a wonderful neighbour, who babysits my kids when i want time to finish chores, when i go out, etc. But she interferes a LOT wrt food habits and other things, which i wanted to STOP, like - adding sugar in his apple purees, cola drinks for DD, am tired sometimes, explaining to her my way. But it has to be a win-win, i cant offend her too, she is my house owner, she has never been in that authoritative air though. There has been serious parenting conflicts and kids are getting to know with the way I treat them here and how my neighbour treats them there, right from the negotiations, food, dress, etc etc. She is trying to be helpful since am younger than her, and trying to share her knowledge(!) and wisdom(!). I was just waiting for an opportunity to end them. Finally time arrived yesterday.

Conversation at my neighbour's yesterday!
    Situation: DD's playmate (neighbour's kid, lets call N's DD), had a kurkure pack in her hand, DD came to me to ask about that (We dont do any of these at home). Neighbour was listening.

DD: Amma whats that? Is that not a junk food? I saw this in junk food category in school the other day.
    Me: Yess you are right.
    N's DD: Aunty, one uncle came home, he got this for me, amma said i can eat this.
    Me to N's kid: (Made sure am louder enough that neighbour can hear ;P), Yaa J (N's kid), but every parent has their own way of bringing their kid up, I think this snack would upset S's tummy, but your mom thinks they would not upset yours, we both are fine this way, as kids, you got to listen to what your mommy says and go by that way.
    DD: Shall i eat this?
    Me: If you think you can eat junk food and upset your tummy, you go ahead, i dont mind.
    DD: (To N's kid), I dont want this. But you can eat this since your mommy has said so, I would wait till you come back.

ohh am waiting for a dozen more opportunities, to repeat these lines often, so that there are no more tight corners between us :))

Strangers - I say Thankyou for being thoughtful and I walk off. Or I would politely say on face that its not their business, even if my way is bad, let it be so!

Vidya - had a hearty laugh, i can imagine the training sessions!
    Tikka - :rotfl Its getting difficult when kids grow.
    Vanathi, Rama - :biglaugh

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I wrote a reply to your response, Pon, but it does not seem to have been posted. Loved the exclamation marks after knowledge and wisdom.
    It does get more difficult as the child begins to understand the nature of conversation between two people whose opinions on how to raise a child differs, especially family.