1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Serving bowls and plates

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by happyindian, Mar 19, 2014.

1. happyindian

happyindian New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    What kind of plates and bowls u ppl use for serving food(BF,lunch etc) when guests are around at your house?
    I still use my stainless steel utensils and even I keep the pressure cooker directly on the dining table :). I know it looks odd. Do u transfer the cooked rice in to a hot pack or a big serving bowl while serving?
    Please provide your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance!

2. Vivel

Vivel Senior IL'ite

Hi Happy :wave,
    When the guest have arrived all of a sudden then it doesn't matter...Wat kind of food,plates,bowls U hav used.Wat matters is food shud b tastey & healthy d way U present it to them.But if u hav planned for it then it shud b perfect.:2thumbsup:
    Plates,bowls everything shud b of ur choice which u can handle comfortably for eg d glass ones always giv a feeling that they might fall off and break.If u r arranging a party for many people then get disposable plates,tumblers,desert cups,spoons,forks,garbage bags etc.So that the pressure after the party cleaning,washing is reduced.:goodidea:
    Menu,all the things to b brought shud b decided and kept ready b4 the guest arrive.Even the water boiled and cooled.While deciding the menu always go for different colours eg green curry,dry item -yellow,fry -red,salad -white etc.yumsmiley
    Now presentation.Transfer d food into different bowls after making hot.Rice shud b prepared at last to serve hot or if microvave is available it can b used.I dont know ur from which part of India.But in our place v prepare idli,appam,pallappam etc which shud b arranged in a long tray.U can use bowls of different sizes.Bigger ones for gravy and rice.Small for side dishes.Using Pickle and desert gives a tradational look.Including Salad gives healthy look.
    Choosing Salad-yogurt salad goes gud wit pulav,biryani etc.But green salad,russain salad wil not.
    Choose desert according to the climate eg.In summer- something cold like ice creams,custards etc.In winter -something hot like-kheer,gulab jamun etc.
    If there r children den atleast one dish shud b of their choice.eg.noodles,fry etc
    Hope this wil help u.:party

3 people like this.
  3. happyindian

happyindian New IL'ite

Hi Vivel,
    Thanks for ur response!
    I would also like to know what type of bowls u guys use - like corelle, porcelain etc., I found corelle to be very expensive in India. The bowls in the dinner set which I have is not glass but is very heavy to use.

4. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

I got a very fine melmoware dinner set with serving bowls etc 11 yrs back. It is of such good quality that it has lasted this long without staining which is very common for melmoware. It looks like bone china and is lightweight as it is of melmoware so it is easy to handle too and good to give food to all guests including kids.