1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

servants mahathmiyam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ganges, Feb 28, 2010.

1. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear malavika,

Ya. my son was in London for five years at Ealing. We came there twice for 6 months each. They too had the same type of services but not through agencies. Through friends only. The lady will come do the fixed works on weekends. She will finish what all we asked her. payment on hour basis. She will take one glass of juice only. she will not talk and will not bother about who is there at the house and all. No issues.

gange

2. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Epandian,

It depends on the loyalty of the servants. At hyderabad we gave 5000 rs to a servant on loan basis and she vanished from the next month. Later we understood she used the same tactics to other three people and got money. So better to put the burden over your hus and say you cannot take financial decisions. Dont ever give free amount to them. They will take it for granted every time. If they didnt repay that is difference. Emergency cases like illness or accidents all we will come to know. so it is all on how the situation is. If you are giving give in front of some body. Because 5000 is a huge money. Allowing the baby to come home also a burden plus your child will mingle with that child. You can help in giving food, dresses or something. taking care of them daily is not advisable. Be firm to them for whatever you feel is right.

ganges

3. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Yeah ganges, if you personally know someone then you can hire them to do maid services but in our case we just get it thru a maid service agency as we don't know anyone who does it on a personal basis and usually going thru an agency is safer unless the individual you hire is trustworthy.

Silly question offtopic...what does mahathimyam mean? LOL

4. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear malavika

friend its okay. What you wrote also is about servants only. Mahathmyam means " Good Qualities"

ganges

5. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Thanks ganges.

she has worked for 65 days total in my house. fed up.

6. kanthaeikon

kanthaeikon Gold IL'ite

Hi Ganges

Until last month I had managed without servant. Since we have moved to a bigger place i decided to engage one. Following is the interview: (this was held on 25th Feb)

me: only cleaning vessels and floor map to be done
    servant : Ok
    me: no need to wash cloths and no need to attend bath room and toilet
    servant : ok
    me : what will be your salary
    servant : 1000 p.m.
    me : will give 600 p.m.
    servant : ok (the answer was immediate)
    here is the climax
    servant : Where is your DH working
    me : why do you worry, i will be giving you the salary
    servant : I have to talk to him; otherwise i will not join.
    me : we don't need a servant

this happened recently. But my first experience gave me a good lesson and i don't want to experiment.

Of course engaging a servant is a nightmare.

kantha

7. sudhara

sudhara New IL'ite

Hi ganges,
    That was hilarious. But its' quite true. The house revolves according to their whims and fancies. I have a maid who works for my mom and me. She stopped from coming a couple of months ago as I wanted her to come by 7.30 a.m.. In a fit of rage and hoping to make her feel guilty for losing a propective owner (that's me) I decided to employ someone else as replacement. The new maid must be in her late 50s and she
    agreed to come by the time I wanted her to. She asked Rs. 800. Rs. 200 for each work (cleaning the house, garments, mopping, and cleaning the vessels) is her equation. I told her I will give Rs. 600. She agreed but with a condition that she will not clean and mop the floor. I agreed much to my surprise. I went to my mom's place, boasted of getting a new maid for a lesser amount deliberately when that old maid was there.
    I paid her Rs. 600, double the amount from what I paid my former maid for half the work what the earlier one used to do. after a couple of days from when she joined, the new maid asked Rs. 500 as advance. I refused and said I don't appreciate these things. she kept quite. Next day, she said she won't be coming for a couple of days. with bated breath I waited for her to return and felt lucky when she came for work after two days of leave. And naturally her two days' work got piled up in the form of our clothes. She got irritated and questioned me as how she can wash so many clothes. I replied her by saying you can't question me on these things. it's your duty to do as you are being overpaid for the work you are doing. after the argument, she went again leaving me wait with bated breath for her to come the next day. again she cribbed over something. this time I was irritated and I turned to my hubby for his valuable suggestion. He listened to the entire episode, didn't utter a word. but quietly said why don't you ask our former maid to come back. I didn't know what to say. But felt yes that's not a bad idea. And the result is, the maid who works for my mom and me has accepted to come back. The important part is, I am paying her double the amount from what I was paying her earlier. Now, who is lucky, whether it's me for getting my former maid to work for me again or my maid who gets paid more than what she used to get earlier?
    sudhara

8. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Kantha,

That too was a humorous one. First you did the interview, then it was her turn. Why she asked who knows. Might be she wants to know whether you are capable to pay or what else?

ganges

9. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudhara,

That was a nice one too. I think Chennai servants are having more marketing abilities than of any other parts. They are brilliant and know how to demand. They know we cant do without them so quitely allow them to boss you.

ganges

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ganges,

Servants too must be caring eh ! HAHA.Well said by yr FIL.i just am amazed at the cheek opf the servant to askt hese questions eh !

Well for me , and harsha, we have been blesssed with good servants.For if anyone comes , say mom, Dad, or cousins, etc, they always leave a minumum tip of 100/- for 2 or 3 days or stay, and Dad used to give more but never tell us.and also they get newclothes from them, bangles etc, so guests in my home are always welcomed by the maids.:rotflStrange , isnt it.

and now i have two maids, come from 10 to 7, and they have learnt our Sindhi cooking, do all teh vessls, clothes in the machine, take care of my dogs, so life is blissful, leaving me time to blog and comment at peace.

Are we both not lucky Ganges !!

Regrds

kamal