1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

servants mahathmiyam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ganges, Feb 28, 2010.

1. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

After buying dishwasher and washing machine :)shhh: I love them more than majority of my family members), I am looking for a vacuum cleaner which will sweep and mop.

Girls please :bowdown :bowdown:bowdownuse this thread to educate poor me if you have any info about a good brand. My 1.5 old daughter loves the dirt on the floor more than my cooking. May be DH is also doing this behind my back. Driving me crazy. If I get a perfect vacuum cleaner I can send out the lady who comes to sweep and mop.

Yesterday, I was cleaning my rarely used electric rice cooker. This is our conversation.
    Maid: "What are you doing?"
    Me: "I rarely use it. So it has become dusty...and hence cleaning it".
    Maid: "My daughter called me yesterday and she wants this."

Few days back:
    Maid: "Give me your daughter's shoes. I want it for my grand daughter who has come here for vacation".
    Me: "Those cost me more than Rs 600 and I bought them just a few days back. I will give it after my daughter grows a bit".
    Maid: "But my grand daughter is leaving in a couple of days. I want them now."

I have at least 3 such conversations every single day. Problem is, I moved to India just a little over an year back and I am too stunned to even respond or refuse when they demand like this. I have a lot to learn. :bonk

If I give what they ask for, they are happy. If not, then comes the sulking, taking leave without calling etc etc.

The stuff that my maids take home every month costs many times their monthly salary.

Since they point to things and ask for them boldly (there is no criteria. They will pretty much ask me for anything and everything), I spend at least 2 hours / day putting everything in closets out of their sight. So my DH makes fun of me saying that I spend 2 hours preparing for a maid who works for 45 minutes / day.

Well I come up with a weak arguement that at least we live in a clutter free house..thanks to them....well finally I found something good to write about them.:thumbsup

2. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear abhising,

Thanks for your fb. True. Most of them are bitter friends but better than butter friends.

ganges
    ganges

3. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear epandian,

That is another version of servants. One thing I am telling you. If they know that you are having a week heart to say no to anybody, they will take advantage of you. We can give unused good items to them by ourself. I hate to give if they ask anything. Because theirs is not of need but of greed. Even when I was working, I stopped having servants and started doing things by myself. I bought eureka forbes vaccum cleaner about 20 years back and it still works. But holding it and doing is another pain , still better than these bitter ones.

ganges

4. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Yaar,

Translation pls!

I do not understand Tamil.

Regards,

Corallux

5. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear abhising,

So you too having the problems in singapore. I think the system in london is much better. For any labour is very costly so people indians too are very independant doing all kinds of works like painting, plumbing etc. If you want servants, there are people coming on hour basis. For that we can fix on hour basis, and fix what works has to be finished during the hours. so no cheating.

thanks for your fb.

ganges

6. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

We get maid service here to clean and dust our flat every week thru an agency. You pay by the hour and all the extra services like ironing, laundry, outside cleaning are all A La carte services and you pay extra for each depending on the time it takes and it costs 10-15 quid per person per hour depending on the agency. If you have extra work that needs to be done, then you pay and nothing is free. They are professional maids so they come, do the requested service and go on about their business. Neither do you have to give them anything other than their service fee and nor would they do extra work for free.

7. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Please Help me...
    1. My maid has asked me for an advance of rs 5000. Last month she had some problems and i gave free money 700. Now she is asking for 5000 and says that I should cancel from her salary for the next 5 months. From her tone, it looks like she wants me to cancel this debt also. Isnt 5000 a lot.
    2. My maid is asking me to hire her daughter (reason for problem in point 1....seperated from her hubby) instead of my maid. But the condition is the daughter will bring her 1.5 year old toddler with her to work.
    p.s.
    I already have a 1.5 year old who is keeping me on my toes. Does that not mean that I have to babysit both the kids when she does the chores:bonk.

How do i handle this?
    Thanks.

8. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

She charges you for maid service so you charge her right back for babysitting service :rotfl

9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Epandian, 5000Rupees is a lot of money.You can buy a good saree for yourself or buy some good books or shoes for your kid.

BTW, why do you think you have to babysit her daughter's kid?I think deep inside you, you have a feeling that she is doing you a favor.She is a maid and you are paying for her service.Thatz it.Tell her that if her daughter does not do a good job or if you are not comfortable having her , you will chuck her out anytime.Is it very difficult to get another one in your place?Or if you know anybody from your village (or relatives village) bring them.

Have you already given 5000 Rs to her?Then it will be very difficult to chuck her out now as you have the risk of loosing that 5000 Rs as well.

Is she asking for another 5000?OMG!Tell her that you are not in a position to give money right now.

10. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Corallux,

Vaanga & va means come in english. But in tamil if you talk to elders you will use the word vaanga for Come and if it is your friends or one younger than you then you can use Va for come. Same for Ponga and PO- both means Go only. Strangers even if they are younger than you we will always talk with respect. Thank you.

ganges