1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Servant Maid Issues

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by amnilakshmi, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

LOL. I don’t lose sleep over differences in opinions. In 2 years I have posted less than 50 posts here shows I value my personal time more.

But why did you send me PM? I checked it just now. You could have asked whatever you wanted to ask here itself. On info you were seeking, might have been wrong click on my side. Didn’t know that you pay attention to such minor details of a member you have never interacted with :flushed:

2. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Thanks YellowMango.. your suggestions really help me .. Thanks again

yellowmango likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@Ragini25, good to see you back!
    Seriously, keeping a home clean in India cannot be compared to the same activity in a Western country. I can get away with vacuuming once or twice a week in the US. We keep windows closed due to central AC/heat and the air is much cleaner so dust is much less of an issue. And we have topnotch cleaning tools and supplies available. I am able to comfortably manage with a biweekly cleaning help.
    At home in India I can't even imagine the state of the house if I followed a similar routine. There is so much dust and dirt entering every day, along with insects and pests. And the hard water makes kitchen and bathroom tiles need cleaning much more often. We also have lots of extra visitors and a lot more cooking, tea and coffee utensils etc. I don't blame anyone for hiring help when it is affordable.

joylokhi likes this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

because the qn I asked you was unrelated to this specific thread and hence.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

this one you have to fire.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Sorry you are going through tough times , hope things get better soon.

IL rule to post in English ?? News to me. I see lots of posts written in Tamil here , so I assume Hindi is acceptable ? Last I checked British left India , so a website called “Indus ladies” should be receptive to all Indian languages , No ? Yes it’s our national language Hindi , not Swahili that we are discussing here. I wasn’t discussing your post but GB’s response to your PM ( not surprised :laughing:) . You think it’s perfectly acceptable to discuss people in PM’s and then think we are rude ?? Thanks for reminding me that there is still a lot of gossiping / backbiting/ policing going on in IL through PM’s and people like yourself.

p

7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Yes must be busy digging through TOI!! Wait till we get bombarded with some article.

Also following threads and interrogating about members is quite a dignified job !

Archanaanchan and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

I posted 2 links. One of them, was TOI but it wasn’t a TOI news but a blog piece.

IL admin can confirm how many times I login to post here or how much time I spend here.

I am really surprised at the vitriol you three are throwing for one question I asked in January.

Look, I had free time on first week of Jan as MrsGB was starting a new job and I had given notice to my prev. Employer and was in between notice period and starting a job. Once I realized, you all misunderstood my curiosity, I apologized and even volunteered to remove the posts, but didn’t have edit window to remove the posts.

I didn’t call any one lazy in this thread. You guys support hiring external help, by all means go ahead if you treat them with dignity and respect. But OP was seeking suggestions on how to ‘keep them in place’. My take is if you hire help, you need to learn to manage them yourselves else be ready to do the work yourself.

If you consider yourselves as lazy for hiring help, that is your assumption or complex or whatever you perceive but I didn’t say so. We lost our father when I was still in HS. My mother worked very hard to bring us up. She had to face lot of societal back lash for doing odd jobs like making pickles, selling sarees due to my father’s premature demise. How class- conscious Indian society treats who fall hard on their fortune, my mother has experienced it first hand. So I take all this glitter of empowering maids in this new economy with a big pinch of salt. That’s why I am sensitive to threads in asking how to keep such people in place.

Whether engaging in Hindi alone or whatever language is for admin to decide, but using member’s handle to ridicule them is a big no-no in any online fora. I hope you folks are able to discern that difference.

9. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Thank god that you know this is an online fora and people should be free to post whatever dilemma they have and their problems shouldn’t be brushed aside with “ you should know how to manage it “ comments . We have so many moms here who posts issues about their kids or teenagers so what would you tell them ? You had kids , you should know how to handle them , why come on online fora? Even at work , people management is always one of the toughest thing I deal with and it’s a constant challenge to keep everyone happy and focused . That’s one thing no one likes to do.

The verdict is out there as to who is being judgemental whether it’s ridiculing people for posting their issues or others for hiring house help . If you see the initlal responses in this thread , everyone was genuinely trying to help the OP until this someone who got on his high horses diverted the whole thread to something so petty . Talk about dignity !

And dude - you need to step outside your cocoon and do some real world travelling to see how dignity of labor goes in thin air when it becomes affordable . Until then stay happy in your la la land ..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

You are the only one stuck in January and the Y and R post question, others have moved on.
    This started off as a simple thread with OP asking how to manage her maid. Everyone had good suggestions until you came in and declared that if your royal highness can manage without a maid inspite of working harder than your Indian counterparts, others should too. You then talk about dignity of labor ! Are you not explicitly stating here that people that hire maids are lazy ??

So yes, hence the “vitriol”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.