1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Servant Maid Issues

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by amnilakshmi, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

2. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I am very much tempted to respond! Not all of us can be Mr. Gandhi. Since maid service is affordable in India and companies provide house allowance for the expats, they are enjoying the perks.

The size of the home / neighborhood also makes it necessary to have the maid service. For some, extra help is needed to keep the clean, tidy home. As long as it is affordable, does it matter?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Just as Poovai has said, im tempted to respond to the question of need to hire maids in India when it was manageable without abroad. I feel there is absolutely no base for a comparison. It is obvious that hiring a maid is definitely affordable in India. Moreover, It is much more difficult maintaining a clean house here, as not everything can be done through just vacuuming etc. Cleaning bathrooms itself would require full attention and effort here, due to tiled floors, wet floors etc.

4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Agree that cleaning requires much more effort in India than here . Also , commute and long working hours makes it difficult for someone to manage the household single handedly . In the US we can get away by just vacuuming on a weekly basis but not in India . Maids are so cheap in India that even the so called lover of “dignity of labor “ will rush to the idea of hiring maids in India or other developing countries .

Apart from how cheap labor is , for many it’s the time factor . When I was young and single , I wouldn’t mind assembling ikea furniture for hours . I personally never enjoyed spending time on it but at that time money was an issue so had to do myself . Also, I used to think I am worth “x” amount of dollars so might as well spend it on something which is worth my time and skills .

Now with 2 kids and a full time job , time is an issue so we just buy Furnitures with white glove delivery options . It’s all about convenience now .

Instead of relying on these articles written by some xyz blogger (and that too on TOI!! ) and generalizing as to why Indians lack creativity or are lazy , one should ask why Americans hire maids in India too . The whole dynamics changes when it becomes affordable .

GeetaKashyap, joylokhi, SunPa and 5 others like this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Thread diversion

[​IMG]

Anisu, sindmani, MalStrom and 4 others like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ragini meri Ragini.. : ) good to see you back in your usual action.

But what is the problem yaar... : ) nice interesting thread... each evidence Greenbay presents is being shot down. I even recalled some old kaamwali bai jokes. Started a related thread about hiring house cleaners in America. Hiring House Cleaners In America

All izz well.. internet ki jai ho.

7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Exactly! Good to see you back, @Ragini25

8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Who remembers this thread?:laughing:

Househelp

The ILs did not take it lightly & the OP never came back there. Looks like history will repeat itself. GB, are you listening?

Sunburst, Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

History repeated itself, almost! Similar thread diversion tactics in the other post as well. People losing sleep over well functioning adults having a discussion on a public forum.

Naari and Sunburst like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

While their is no issues accepting that some people are horrible employers,that cannot be used to say all people should not employ maids.

As for the picture...it actually doesn't say much.
    Why would the employers ask the maid to sit on the floor in delhi metro....it is not the employers father's property.Why would she sit on the floor in public transport ?

As for sitting on the floor itself....my daughter and other college students do it fairly regularly on long routes. Put a paper on the floor ,sit and take out your mobile ....not so uncommon.

sindmani and GeetaKashyap like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.