1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Servant Maid-a Member Of The Family

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Oct 30, 2017.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Agatha's snippet on Deepavali prompts me to write a few lines about my servant maid who is working in our our house for the past 48 years.I should say that she was connected to this house even when it was a vacant land.When we started construction, she was a siththaal( woman labourer)since raising foundation.While supervising I have seen her occasionally and she used just to smile.

When we occupied our house,my daughter was two years old.My mother-in-law and her sister were with us.The girl opted to work as servant maid at a monthly salary of Rs25/ per month.She used to come at 5.30A. M. mob the house, wash the vessels and leave at 6.15 to make ready for construction work.
    After 11 A. M. her mother would come, wash the clothes and clean all the vessels used for cooking.My MIL used to feed paruppu saadam with ghee,the two year old son of my servant maid accompanying his grandma.
    My second child was born after two years.The old lady was of great help to us.

Years rolled on.The servant maid, deserted already by her husband, lost her parents too.My children and her children grew up.Her girl and boy had no interest in studies,however much I tried and coached.The girl left her studies at the 3rd standard and the boy discontinued his studies as he could not pass even7th standard.
    He started helping a painter and carpenter and started earning at the age of 16.Her mother continued to work in our house and construction site.Unless the woman laboureer accedes to the desire of maistry or Engineer, she could not continue her work.That is the unwritten law in construction area ,that is being followed till the date.You know the result.She opted to go in for'sterilization' for which
    I helped.My mother-in-law asked me whether it is justifiable to assist a lady for moving in a wrong direction.I had no answer.Still I had to consider the plight of the servant ,the prisoner of situations.We cannot reform the society at large.

Ethics,moral or other wise ,can never reach the people of lower strata on any day.
    I found the boy unfit to do heavy jobs.Though he had education only upto 7th he was extremely sincere and honest.When I spoke about him to the principal of the Higher secondary school nearby, she opted to appoint him as a temporary peon for a salary of Rs250-
    Within a short period of one year he learnt the nuiances of school administration ,he became close to the principal.He is such a nice boy, with no vices.,.He conveys his thanks to the paruppu sadham which my MIL gave him daily.

The servant continued.A small flat ,300 sq.ft near our house in a Housing Board Unit was available for sale. The cost was Rs1.5o lakhs. We paid the entire money and registered the flat in his name.His married life commenced in his own flat.As the school building was renewed, the school authorities accommodated him in a hut near the school to utilise his services for supervision.For 5 years he rented out his flat for Rs1000- and the tenant paid the rent to us. we admired his honesty.He has paid back Rs90,,000 and we have written off the balance.Then he occupied the house.He has two children.The eldest boy now 21 has completed degree, though with poor scores.The girl has just joined B. A. Psychology.He is very grateful to us for having secured a decent job with free education.The school fees is the highest commitment these days even for the higher income group.He is now earning Rs 16,000 with PF benefits and medical benefits.The successive principals used to thank me for directing a sincere person to the school.For any function, any seminar any exhibition, he does A-Z.For arranging the exam hall, writing hall ticket numbers, writing announcements on the notice board,packing and sealing answer papae---Call the boy.He will be available within minutes.

As he was working in the school, education was totally free to children.As the flat is close by, no transport expenses to anyone.He has been given a bike by the school authorities, he goes to CBSE office, collects question pps, arranges them datewise,keeps them in bank vault.No need to supervise.His work will be pukka. Had he completed matriculation ,he is far more eligible than a graduate.In short he is a gem.His smiling wife is an asset to the family.This is not an exaggerated version.This is 100% reality, though difficult to believe these days.

We provide dress to the entire family both during Deepavali and Pongal and also during the Upanayanam of of my son, and during the weddings of my son and daughter.
    They are just members of our family.On all important functions Tamil New Year. Avani Avittam, Ayudha pooja, three days during Pongal I cook for the entire family and feed them to their satisfaction.Even during Deepavali I allot them huge quantities home made sweets and savouries so that children could enjoy.
    The mother continues as servant maid at home and she too is 75.All my relatives used to envy me, because I had a servant who had worked 365x 48 days continuously in our house.I have not cleaned the vessels for a single day. Even during the unavoidable absence of the servant, her mother, or daughter-in-law would be there.
    Whenever we went abroad for 6 to8 months on 5 or 6 occasions,we used to keep our hall open.The boy and his wife used to be there during nights. We paid lumpsum amt of Rs 15,000 -rs20,000on every occasion for their services.On any day we could contact him by land phone to ascertain the safety of the house.He used to see us off and welcome us in the airport on each occasion, ready with a van or taxi.

Once we went Shirdi.I went to the station from the office.My husband came to the station from home.When I was in my office, I found out that the diamond ring was missing.I didn't know whether it has fallen in the bus during my trip to office or fallen somewhere at home or on the road.I had totally written it off.When we returned from Shirdi, the boy gave our ring saying that it was found beneath the sofa.That was the sincerity ,a rare quality.
    Once in two days, he comes home, takes coffee and enquires whether I need any help.
    I think that it is a divine blessing to have servants of this calibre.My relatives sometimes say that to buy a house for a servant is a little bit too much.But I think that his sincerity is worthy of it.

Jayasala42

MonikaSG, Jeeves, Sunburst and 22 others like this.

2. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jayasala amma,

I am in tears reading this post. I am looking up to you, your mother in law and the boy's whole family with respect and admiration. Thank you.
    Vani

peddadas and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Iam not sure who is to feel blessed.Whether you or the maid's family. It is very nice to read such happy stories of genuine and sincere people in real life:)

peddadas and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear jayasala maam,
    i can very well relate to the blessing of having a sincere and reliable house maid. Our maid is now with us from the last 20 years or so. When her son (only child) was 3 years old, she used to bring him along with her. Now the boy has completed his BBA and joined a private firm on a monthly salary of around 15000/- or so. It feels nice, that we could help out in him managing his school commitments to some extent. Over the years we have been increasing her salary periodically and gifting them for special festivals etc. Other than that, no major demands were made by them and she continues to come regularly and work sincerely. Hence I allow her her monthly visits to her hometown for 2 to three days everymonth without any grouse. The silver lining in this is that, her husband is also a sincere worker with no bad habits and hence they are able to come up within their means.

MonikaSG, peddadas and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. jayasala42

Thank you Girvani.

Jayasala42

6. jayasala42

Dear Shree,
    Just like Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice,"the quality of Mercy blesseth him that gives and him that receives'.Both are equally blessed.I am on the otherside of 75, my husband is 80.Our children live somewhere.We don't feel the separation much because of the other bondage.

Jayasala42

7. jayasala42

Dear Joylokhi,

Thank you for the response.Very glad to learn that your maid is with you for 20 long years.We have some strength of mind that we have some one.This Aadi 18, I had mild fever.My husband told me not to strain. But when the servant came in the morning she told that her son is expecting nice puliya sadam, Thengai sadam and Thayirsadam with potato fry, I could not express my discomfort.I cooked for 10 persons and sent in a big carrier with fried appalaam, vadaam etc .Seeing them happy made me also happy.The fever too vanished.That is the intimacy we have developed.Some may brand it'selfishness;One of my relatives used to pass remarks that I am giving too much space and I may suffer the consequences.I think I know my limitations. Once I have the least suspicion we will be careful;We will not allow ourselves to be totally cheated by anyone in the world.
    When my mother-in-law passed away, there were lot of relatives and we had nearly 30 people to eat daily.We had engaged cooks for the 10 to 13 day ceremonies only.
    All the nine days the servant maid was ready to do any work anytime and she waited at the back yard.,though as per customs, we could not feed her on those days.Her son was getting prepared for going to Sabarimala. At about 5P. M. I used to give her hot water to take bath and she went home to prepare food for her son.During my daughter's wedding, my son was in the hostel and he had semester exams in May.He could come only the previous day.This boy helped us to place invitations in the cover, stamp them.I just wrote addresses.He helped to pack things to the wedding hall,waited there, and on coming back helped to repack everything while we were busy in giving a send off to the couples and sambandhis.His presence helped to be at ease and attend to the guests with full concentration.

Jayasala42

joylokhi, Thyagarajan and PavithraS like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

I truly enjoyed reading your snippet. The sincerity of the maid family and your liberal help both are blessings to hear about considering the tough world we live in now. The bonding comes automatically once people go beyond employer/maid relationship. In my in-laws residence, my MIL knows everyone who worked for her for nearly 50 years and most are closely in touch with her. My FIL had helped one of the servant to get a new scooter so that she could travel quickly to cook in so many houses when my mother in law helped her secure multiple jobs through her connections. She is now earning roughly Rs 30,000 per month.

Even today, when she lives here in the US, most of them call her regularly. When we visit India, we pay handsome money to the servant maid to look after the house. She calls us regularly to tell the status of the house from time to time. Before we leave for India, we tell them our arrival date. Gas, milk, newspaper, telephone restoration, air-conditioner, cable TV, etc. are organized even before we arrive. A woman comes from Mylapore to cook food for all of us, two servants take turn to clean the house and wash clothes in the dishwaster and clean the vessels.

Last time, when I was in India, a guy brought his daughter and talking to my MIL. She introduced him to me telling that he was the one who was supplying milk for the past 50 years to us. Now his daughter is an Engineer working for Infosys and he was complaining that he was not able to find a suitable bridegroom for her. My MIL's family helped this milkman considerably when he was coming up in life.

Viswa

momsky, jayasala42 and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Madam , You are blessed indeed to have got such a person for a household help. Touch wood. True they are very indispensable in most households. You are also one among the very few who take responsibility and see to that the essential needs of the help's family is taken care of. You must be respected by their family as some one who showed direction to the son's life and set his life course on a good path. You certainly did that. And of course your MIL's 'Paruppu Saadham ' played an important role too ;) :smiley:

Reminded me of Bharathi's song Kannan En Sevakan

girvani and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

What a wonderful write up. Getting a good husband, a good neighbor and a good maid servant- is all put together, shall we call it destiny! even if you had offered the same kind of financial help to relatives, I am sure they wouldn’t have been of so much of help as these people are to you now. With so much of help at hand, you need not look for any help from anyone- including children! God bless you all.

Agatha83

momsky, joylokhi and PavithraS like this.