1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Serial in Dinamalar's Varamalar - Valarpom thannambikai serial

Discussion in 'Sundays with Varalotti' started by rajmiarun, Mar 4, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Re: Sunday's with Varalotti

Dear Sowmya Madam,

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually that was not a rejection. They went through the first set of 3 samples I sent and told me that the subject dealt with that was too complex for their readers. The editor was kind enough to add a note saying that we are giving this back to you because the quality is more than the requirement.

Anyhow now those three pieces (I loved writing them) form part of my next book.

Regards,
    sridhar

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Mr. Sridhar,
    My name is Rajameenakshi. My grandmother was born and bought up in Madurai and she was a staunch of godess Meenakshi. All good and bad for her revolved around Meenakshi. When she married my grandfather the puja devotee of the family is Meru, Srichakram and RajaRajeshwari. She once dreamed of God Meenakshi swinging in Joola in full Raja Rajeshwari Alankaram. And she blessed my grandmother that though you may not have a daughter you will be blessed with granddaughters. Name her as Rajameenakshi. Though my Periappa has a daughter she is not given that name. So my father named me so. Though my grandmother didnot live to see me or hear me called by that name, I love that name and whenever asked for love to tell the story behind that name.

My husband's name is Arunachalam, and people in my inlaws started calling me Rajmi. I added Arun to my name and I call me in short as RajmiArun. Thats all.

3. varalotti

Thanks Vidya!

Dear Vidya,

So far I have been sparing you during Sundays. Now that is also filled up. As far as this serial is concerned they went through the essays and picked up what to them appeared as the best.

Only 7 have been approved so far. The other eight is in process.

Dinamalar printed posters which have appeared throughout Madurai proclaiming "THANNAMBIKKAI THODAR AARAMBAM."
    Thank God, they did not print my name as well.

Let me give some details about this Singapore incident. Actually when I googled for my pen-name in unicode Tamil font in Google Tamil, I found an entry saying "Singapore National Library." The cover of my book Vetriyin Vidhaikal appeared in that search.

I did not say that to anybody. But a few days back the publisher called me to say that an officer from Singapore National Library called to ask about how I got this funny name Varalotti.

(For those of you who joined the party late, Varalotti is the name of our village which is near Virudhunagar. It is about 40 kms from Madurai. Its part of the old Ramnad District (now Virudhunagar District) known for its proverbial drought. Rengasamy is the name of my adoptive father. I coined the name to give some uniqueness. And reading the name Varalotti, I have been mistaken as an Andhraiite and even a woman)

Looks like those people have my book and wanted to gather some more details about the author.

regards,
    varalotti

4. varalotti

Dear Varloo,
    I am happy to know that Dinamalar's circulation is going to go up by at least 1 because of your buying. Thanks a ton. I am very happy to learn that you are going to make Aravindh read that.
    Though I write for all ages when people like Aravind read it the effect is bound to be stronger.
    Thanks once again, Varloo.
    sridhar

5. varalotti

Thanks Rajameenakshi. Nice to know that you have roots in Madurai.
    My regards to Arun.
    sridhar

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Mr. Sridhar,
    Not just in Madurai, my father has his roots in Tirunelveli. My grandfather's father belongs to a village called Nambipuram. Though there is no one there people from our family keep going to the Sivan and Vishnu temple in that village.

Hope you have heard the famous lawyer Mr. Ramasubramaniam in Madurai. He lived upto the age of 108. He is none other than my father's uncle who bought up my grandmother as their parents passed away when my grandmother was just 3 years old.

7. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Rajmiarun and Chitra,

Thankyou Ladies so much for posting the link to Varalotti's article in Dinamalar.

Jothi.

8. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Your article in dinamalar was beautiful and precise.I should say illuminating and informative too. It is amazing to see what a liitle phrase could do to boost the self confidence in ordinary people..

Awaiting with anticipation,
    Jothi.

9. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    read the thannambikai story....pramadham! Liked the simplicity , at the same time the truth in this! Well like Vidhya has said, it is a great task to believe this and turn into a loving soul.....of course , no harm in taking the first step and trying to get there somewhere in the near future!
    Thanks Chitra and Rajameenakshi( i liked this name!) for bringing this to our notice!

10. varalotti

Thanks Jothi!

Dear Jothi,

Happy to know that you liked the article. Simplicity was the key word Dinamalar insisted a number of times before I gave out the first set of samples. This one was the first of the three samples approved by them. So I modelled all the modules on this one.

Let me make it clear Jothi that the story is not mine. I downloaded it from the net. Only the words I used to narrate it and the conclusion I drew for the readers is mine.

Thanks Jothi once again.
    regards,
    sridhar