Serendipity or Eureka ?? New dosa batter

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by hrastro, Jan 25, 2013.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends

I had an elderly diabetic guest for a few days and she had bought some whole wheat grains - she asked me to roast and break them coarsely in mixie for her to eat instead of rice everyday !!! After she left, I had 2 cups of it leftover... wondering what will I use it for !!!

In the morning, I was soaking for pesarettu (whole green gram - with green chillies and ginger), regular dosa (1 cup white udad, 1/2 c black udad, 1 c jowar, 1 c bajra, 1 c korra, 1 cup red boiled rice, 1 cup red raw rice) and also to grind green chutney (coriander, chilli, ginger) for my son's republic day 3 color sandwich!!!

I just simply soaked the roasted and broken coarsely wheat in a separate vessel to think what to do later !!!

Later, I ground it in the mixie with the soaked water, salt and some chillies and ginger (stolen from coriander chutney !)

I got the idea to add some yeast from my bread making !!! so - 1 tbsp yeast in warm sugar water - let it rise and add to the batter...

After an hour, I made the softest, yummiest non-stickiest dosas !!!:thumbsup
    Wow what a discovery !!! Or is it invention... whatever it is, wanted to share it and enjoy!!!

Its good with groundnut chutney but my son enjoyed with nutella, jam and cheese too.. he immediately asked me - amma is this bread dosa ?? I said yes, I used wheat for the dosa :)

It stays in the fridge too for 1-2 days so you can make it previous night :)

Recipe :
    2 cups whole wheat grains - roasted, cooled and soaked for about 5-6 hours

Grind together with water to make a smooth paste with
    1 tbsp green chilli ginger paste (or to taste - if you dont like sweet bread, this is necessary else optional)
    1 tbsp coriander (optional)
    salt to taste

Add 1 tbsp active dry yeast to lukewarm water + 1/2 tsp sugar and let rise for 5-10 minutes to see if the yeast is working !! Then mix with the batter and let rise for 1 hour!!

You can make hot, thin, soft/crispy dosas non-stick immediately or can keep in fridge and make it later !!!

Please do try it and let me know !!!
    It was an eureka moment for me when my DH raved about it :)

2. archana506

archana506 Gold IL'ite

Great!!!! Thanks for sharing

3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I had some whole wheat grains - so I soaked the wheat grains along with my dosa and pesarattu soaking and while grinding, I added green chilli, ginger, salt and kept in the fridge!

1 cup whole wheat grains, soaked for 7 hours and ground (in grinder - you can see some threads forming) with green chilli, ginger and salt.

Today morning, I added 1tsp yeast to lukewarm water and let it rise!

Add the yeast, salt and some maida (or whole wheat flour) till the whole wheat dosa batter gets solidified to some wet rolling consistency

Press the atta flat and roll it up, seal the edges and put in a greased bread tin and let the batter rise for half an hour.
    slash the risen batter, brush on top with milk or ghee or butter.
    Bake at 200 C for 20 minutes ( till you can hear hollow sound )

Yummy healthy whole wheat bread ready - you can toast or make sandwiches or just eat like that :)

4. queenie29

queenie29 Silver IL'ite

wow nice... will try