1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Senior Life Crisis

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Sapna56, May 2, 2019.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All
    My elder aunt is very upset with her husband. Husband background: he got retired around 3 years back. After his retirement he joined a small firm. Small firm has young ladies too working. This uncle who is around 65 years by age not by physique is getting into an affair with a young lady. My aunt read all his messages and found out some communication which we would only send to loved ones. I had lot of respect for this uncle but hearing from this aunt, I lost some of it. Please help how to deal with this.
    Everyone in family is saying that we should arrange a talk with this uncle about what he is doing. Also talk with the young lady whom he has an affair.
    They live in india and things like this in india are very uncommon atleast in our families. Also uncle and aunts relationship hasn't been so great over all the years. They fight a lot. Aunt had always been looking after her daughter and son and now their kids too. Uncle was always more into work and travelled a lot.
    Need suggestions on how to make uncle realize what he is doing is not good for his wife and himself.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Your aunt can either stop snooping, or correct his messages and send it back to him with comments. She should certainly not spread rumors about having a hot husband that young people find fun to flirt with. As you had explained, your uncle had not been getting the attention at home “over all the years” , and now, albeit SO very late, getting it elsewhere. Be happy for the old dude; at least one of the two is chirpy with the life.

(OTOH, be suspicious: The senior may have planted love notes for his wife to find them. Either to annoy the snoop, or to get her jealous. There is no affair, until you get some more than just hearsay evidence)

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Mistt, Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  3. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Aunt also found some pictures of both of them. Uncle goes on tour saying they are for official purpose.

Amulet likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Your aunty has a tenuous equilibrium of a married life, such as it is. This “everybody in the family” gang may want to destroy that by revealing to your uncle that his messages are now in the public domaine, thanks to your aunt . Now I would hazard a guess that this couple are well to do , and this “everybody” gang is not at all happy with that.
    The very obvious downside for the uncle could be a shakedown for money from the young lady, or her agents. Your uncle does not need everybody for that, but the same age cohort who can talk to him in confidence about email/message safety and privacy, and why photos with attractive young men or women should not be left on email, whatsapp and whatnaught, lest they be used for blackmail.
    If your uncle is poor ( why would a retired bloke want a job ? Just to escape from nagger at home ? - was my 2nd thought), he as well as everybody has not a thing to worry.

Anusha2917 and Sapna56 like this.
  5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Choosing to ignore would be the best thing to do in such a case.
    I would be telling a lie if I say me and my sister were not hurt when something similar happened in the family some years back.
    It affected us but after much discussion me and sister chose to ignore ranther than confrontation and involving few other family members here . I mean what can anyone gain by such confrontation?. Your aunt should stop involving "everyone" here and deal it on her own . Whether she chooses to ignore by or have a one on one confrontation with him she should decide and use her life experiences in handling this issue.
    Do not involve extended family in such matters. A 65 year is not a teen where one can point out what is did or what he's doing is right or wrong . .
    Better to ignore this matter than cause more embarrassment to him and others surrounding him.

Sapna56 likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Have "you" seen the photo ? So what do you think ? of her? I forgot to ask you this, and now the edit time had gone.
    That made me go and check my phone to see the messages I had sent during the last month. Felt quite awful. Some of them said "ETA?", "buy milk&egg on the way home", and "we are meeting at 6:00 , be in a taxi at 5:30" etc...". Mostly curt, and mostly instructions. The whole lot of them. :facepalm::frown: I am going to do better from here on out.
    I am living abroad. In some western countries, having affairs with younger colleagues would be called "power harassment", a sub-sect of "sexual harassment". And if the company came to know of it, they'd have to fire the senior (not age, but higher ranking person, usually male. However, cougars also are known to prey on junior colleagues), and if unlucky, the junior also. If the company comes to know of this only through a lawsuit filed by the harassed woman, well..... all in all, tragic for everyone at the office, including the employer. Like I had pointed out before, this is for someone of his own age, a confidante or a friend, to point out to him. @Anusha2917 points this out as well -- more succinctly than I can.

Last edited: May 2, 2019