1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sending Gifts To The Classroom Teacher During Christmas?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Mehana, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Hello moms,

My elder son goes to special education(USA) as he's special need kid with diagnosis of autism. Luckily he got wonderful team at school and I want to send some gifts(cookie box or any small gift they sell in Costco) to his class room teacher and his team(speech, aide etc) during Christmas. My question can we send gifts to the school (currently he is middle school) . Does anyone does in USA being in middle school? Please pour your thoughts.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I sent gifts to a few teachers in middle school, though less than for elementary school. For gifts to teachers, I have always stuck to gift cards accompanied with a warm note, often referring to a classroom activity or a recent project. If you do send gift cards, keep the amount same for all of them, including the home teacher. They do talk and compare later.

A $25 Amazon/Target/Starbucks gift card is always appreciated. It's been a while.. maybe the suggested amount has to be inflation-adjusted. : ) To make the gift card less impersonal, you can try to box it creatively or spend separate money on buying a giftcard box.

Parents send gifts to teachers, coaches in December or at the end of the school year even in high school.

Most schools allow teachers to receive gifts as long as the amount from each giver does not exceed a certain amount like $100 (I think).

Mehana and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

My daughter goes to the special education program in the public school.
    I have been giving 25$ Amazon gift cards to the teacher and the paras. Usually I don't differentiate between the teachers and paras. In middle school I stopped giving to the speech therapist and OT.
    I am planning to do the same this Christmas too.l give gift cards only once a year.
    I give chocolate box to the bus driver and para if they have been good to my kid.
    I plan to give lindt chocolates to the evening bus driver and para as they have been extremely kind to my kid.

Mehana likes this.
  4. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

@Sunshine04 @Rihana

Thanks for your thoughts.

Based on your input if I am planning to send chocolate box or cookie box, it should look same for para and classroom teacher?

I brought a truffle chocolate box for his teacher. Small cookie boxes for his para and for his speech therapist, other therapist, bus driver and bus aide. Do I need to keep same for everyone including classroom teacher?

5. Sunshine04

No, not necessarily. If you have already bought the stuff. Give it.
    Generally speaking, paras also do the same amount of work as the teacher. Paras would be taking the kid to the restroom and helping with cleaning. So I gift the same.
    In middle school, the OT was doing only consult. So i stopped for both ST and OT.

6. Sunshine04

I don't think the teacher and paras would be discussing the gift stuff with each other.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Ok great. How do you send gifts. It's ok to send in my son's backpack or I have to go in person ?

8. Sunshine04

I send it in my kids backpack.
    Send the teacher a polite email thanking her for all the support. Mention that the gifts are in the bag and please accept it.

Mehana likes this.
  9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Sunshine04 .

Do you send anything for the classroom? I mean any snacks for kids to share?

10. Sunshine04

Oh yes. I send snacks and juice packs for the class kids. Mostly once in 2 months or so.