1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Semi Solids for 4+ months baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Padminiramesh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Hi,

My Pedi asked me to start with semi solids this week for my LO
    I would be joining back to work by end of April.
    So, this is what he suggested
    9-10AM Silver spoon ragi mix
    12-1 PM Nan 1 100ml
    3-4 PM Silver spoon ragi mix
    6-7 Nan 1 100 ml

Rest all with BM.
    Is this looks fine, or do i need to alter anything here, please suggest.

2. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

@padmini

my ped has also suggested to start solids once my son completed 4 months but i waited for 2 weeks and then i started,

his dr asked us to start with once a day and gradually increase to twice a day solids.
    its been 10 days i have started solids and am still continuing once a day solids.
    will start twice a day after he completes 5 months.

and we should see whether he is ready for solids yet...how do you know that baby is ready ? he gazes at our foods, drools more.

and also the first day you start dont expect him to swallow the food let him experience the texture first after 3 -4 days he will start eating.

and here according to his doctor still now i fed him vegetable puree and fruits puree's will start ragi soon. and still not given any kind of cereals/cerelac's

"studies now ask to wait till the kid completes 6 months and until then completely breastmilk."

3. Padminiramesh

Pranavi,

Thanks for your suggestions and i completely agree, I am not going to follow this schedule until 25th April.
    Now the plan is ragi once a day alternate days and Nan 1 once a day alternate...so slowly next week, 1 time ragi and 1 time nan...

Also suggest, is gerber food good for 4+ months baby?

4. sansmomy

sansmomy Bronze IL'ite

@Padmini,
    I also started giving semi-solids (started with cerelac) to my DD when she was 4.5 months old....The diest chart looks fine to me (it matches with what my pedi had suggested me then).

Have you been giving formula (NAN 1) to your LO since quite some time or would you be starting it just alongwith the solids? I had been giving my DD just BM still she completed 4.5 months and then I introduced formula (NAN 1). However, I have been facing problems with it since then (DD is now 6.5 months old). She just hates the formula and refuses to take any (we have been trying since last 2 months and somehow manage to make her drink at the max 30ml formula at a time). To cut the story short, just would like to caution you that dont expect your baby to straight away be taking 100ml formula from the first day of weaning if you have not introduced it to her already. It will take lot of patience and preserverance from your side to make the baby used to it. I wish, it goes smooth with your LO.

Keep us posted.

~s.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

padmini, i would say no. i know u want to start work... but we did this with DD, infact we started her on semi solids at 5 months and then backed it off... again started at 5 1/2 months.... if i were u i would continue Nan 1 throughout the day and then feed when at home.

see, Nan itself is going to be hard to digest on him since he has been breastfed more, i am guessing so.to this u add ragi in his diet, chances are things would mess up.let him be on nan....till say 5 months old and then slowly start veggies/fruit puree or ragi once a day. after 2-4 wks increase it to twice a day.
    u dont want you MIL calling u in office about hayagreev being constipated... lol...

zoey is now 6 months old,and we still give her puree only once a day. in another wk or 2 will start her on ragi/bulgar wheat/oats
    you will find PeeVees post somewhr about her bub being constipated with the introduction of ragi. now i am not saying yours will,but why take chances?he is still very young

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. Padminiramesh

Oops, I didnt get this Silver spoon anywhere :-(
    So what else i can start apple/sweet potato....
    Please suggest...

7. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Ragi is a heavy food and it takes time to digest.I would suggest after 6 months,in the mean time you can go for plain rice cereal like nestum/gerber.

8. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

@padmini

yes gerber is ok for 4+ months kids i gave the same to my son i started with gerber carrots,then apple sauce,then sweet potatoes .
    but now i started making homemade purees for the reason - gerber foods are bland they dont taste like table food. carrots puree doesnt taste like carrots at all,but it has the goodness of carrots. so for gettting my son easy transition to table foods i started making homemade puree's .
    if you want to start with gerber then there are 1st stage food my ped said i can introduce one by one all the 1st stage foods .as loonypooh said even i feel it is better even if you wait for some time .as formula is also new to your kid and now again solid food .

9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Padmini,

You can go slow till 5 months and then introduce ragi. I feel formula will be the best. We got wheat sheets from Mangalore ground and added milk and gave. In Mangalore we give wheat first then rice.

In case you are still using vidanga then digestion should not be a problem. You can use the vidanga water for making the formula and cooking other baby food. I did use it.

10. Padminiramesh

Thanks mommies:)
    Just started ragi kanchi, 1 spoon on alternate days and LO likes the taste well and pooping properly, but i see he poops with ragi in that:hide:....
    Now i give ragi nd Nan 1 once a day on alternative days, otherwise he is completely on BM
    And i m extending my MLeave till May end and would be join in June :)