semen analysis and polycystic ovary - need guidance

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Sisley, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Sisley

Sisley New IL'ite

Hi friends,

As I had said earlier, I m trying to conceive since a year..
    last month, my hubby did semen analysis and found that sperm count is 26 millions per ml.. I want to know if this is healthy count.. Because the doctor is saying that count is low, but as far as I have seen in the health sites,.it seems above 20 millions is normal.
    also I have cyst in ovary. May be these two reasons are blocking the chances!
    Can anyone pls suggest or guide on how this can be normalized? though we are having tablets for this, any natural ways to normalize?
    Also the doctor has given medicines for 3 months.. Will there be improvement in one or two months? Is it worth trying at that time? Or shud we wait for 3 months and then expect good result?

2. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

26 million is a decent sperm count. But the other important factor is motility which means how many of the 26 million are actively moving.
    PCOS is pretty common now a days. First get rid of the cysts and may be after that they will give you clomid to help simulate ovulation process. Check for few months if you are ovulating(progesterone tests)
    You can expect improvement in 3 months if you are lucky but give yourself some more time. Don't get stressed or depressed.

Meanwhile you can also follow some natural care:
    PCOS - Have lots of fluids, buttermilk, Seseme seeds and jaggary balls etc, Exercise regularly
    Sperm count - No hot water baths, Have warm milk with soaked almonds at night, Eat jaggery and milk products, urad dal products(sunni undalu). Stay away from hot environment and radiation from laptops. No cycling

This is an extremely emotional journey. Remember that our body needs time to respond to medicines and produce necessary hormones.
    Stay happy and patient. Good Luck.

3. Sisley

Sisley New IL'ite

Thank u so much! :)

Ur positive words are really making me feel good... even last month my periods was delayed by 8 days and got it on 39 th day.. But before that I was having regular periods.. I was so much hoping that the delay wud give us a good news... But it dint.. I doubt that the delay cud have been becoz of folic acid tabs... its since last month I started taking those tabs.. I m tired of expecting each month! Everybody say a missed period cud be a confirmation of pregnancy.. But in my case, even that is not reliable..

4. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Sperm counts are normal,though more on the lower end.Do find the motility and morphology also,as this is wot impacts the movement of sperm.Regarding pcos,its pretty common nowadays,so no need to worry.Try losing some weight if you are overweight.Exercising,esply yoga helps a lot in pcos.

5. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I totally understand how you feel as I've been through this phase. As I said before, give yourself some time, say 6 months. Stay positive but don't expect anything. It is better to be surprised than being disappointed.

6. Sisley

Sisley New IL'ite

Thanks Jaden for ur valuable inputs :) I will surely take them..

Yes thats very true... Being surprised is always better than being disappointed ...
    Hmm ... I have one more concern... I am actually working, in an IT Firm.. My job obviously involves sitting in front of the computer for hours together.. Physical activities are less .. I also face situations when many times I have to run (rather walk faster than normal) for a train / bus..
    One of my friends has always advised me that its not only important to be careful in the first few months of pregnancy after it is known, but its equally important to be careful each month, after trying, for pregnancy to happen !
    She also says that being calm and stress-free without straining much(like doing tough jobs/running/climbing stairs), is always better for a natural pregnancy to happen faster.
    she even asked me to think about quitting for a while until I get a child..
    Though I understand her words are true, I am not very sure how far its practical to follow these.. Is it necessary to be so much careful each month after trying ?

7. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

There is no need to quit job. You'll be more stressed sitting at home and thinking about conceiving all the time.
    I work in IT and had the same issues. PCOS and low sperm count.
    Make sure you take a break once in 2 hours and walk around. Maintain a good sitting posture. Just try to start few mins early to catch the train. Walking, climbing stairs are perfectly fine while trying and in early pregnancy too. Stay away from lifting heavy weights. If you have to carry your laptop daily, get a wheeled bag.

8. Sisley

Sisley New IL'ite

Thank u so much my friend.. :) I was so much confused about all these things.. As u know Indian culture.. Elders start expecting a kid soon after wedding.. I got married last year and I have started facing those questions.. I don't know wat to ans them.. Anyways it wil all happen wen appropriate time comes :)
    Thank u so much for free-ing my mind.. I wil definitely take ur advises :)

9. babybloom

babybloom New IL'ite

Hey there we had the same problem and went thru Enuff delays, your DH semen analysis doesn't say anything on motility and morphology which shud be greater than 50% each !

10. Sisley

Sisley New IL'ite

hello !!! Thanks for your reply. Here's my DH's SA.

Sexual Abstinence - 6 days
    Count - 26 Million / ML
    Motility :
    Active - 5%
    Sluggish - 45%
    Non Progressive - 25%
    Non motile - 25%
    Morphology
    Normal- 30%
    Abnormal - 70%
    Fructose - Present
    PUS Cells - 10-15 seen

Doctor has advised him to take tablet(Recount) for 3-6 months in order to increase motility and count.

We believe all other parameters seem normal.

Please share your views and the medications your DH underwent.