Selling Ad space - Any Insights!

Discussion in 'Entrepreneurship' started by aarthilr, Sep 7, 2009.

1. aarthilr

aarthilr New IL'ite

Hi Entreprenuers,

I work for a website and now we are currently looking out for advertisers to post their ads on our website.

Do any website owners here sell your ad space?If you do, kindly give me some inputs on this-

- do you use Google Adsense or individually sell your ad space?
    - Which one is profitable - Google Adsense or Individual Ad space selling?
    - How do you look for advertisers?

Please educate me on this.

Thanks,
    Aarthi

2. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Aarthi,

I know this was a little while ago, so, I am sure you have learned about this through other means. If not, pleas see my response below.

If a website is purely ad-supported, it is a tough business to become successful. When you are small, your best bet is to go with google adsense because at that time you will spend all your time getting audience to your site and keeping them engaged. You won't have time for selling ad space.

When you grow bigger, then it might make sense to reach out to specific advertisers to advertise directly in your site. Selling direct ads is always profitable from a CPM basis compared to adsense. The question becomes whether the additional revenue from selling direct is worth the cost of the direct ad sales person's salary and the associated ad-operations work.

With adsense being pretty ubiquitous, for advertisers to go directs, they need to get adspace that they typically won't get through adsense. When looking for advertisers, you need to start with a focus on your audience. What type of audience come to your site. Then, ask the question as to which advertisers would be interested in reaching that audience.

All the best!