1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Self-feeding By hand or cutlery

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SupriyaDinesh, Nov 26, 2008.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Mommies,
    Should i encourage priyash to eat by hand or use cutlery?He is fine using spoon for snacks,yogurt etc.We dont use cutlery for regular meals at home.I am concerned the effect on social gatherings.He has started eating pulao by hand.what should i encourage?Both ?
    One more thing- he shows more inclination towards left hand.For feeding his left hand comes automatically.I have keep on reminding to use right hand for every mouth.We do not mind him being a left handed,but feeding is more a social concern in future..:hide:..

share your views on these.Thank you.

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Supriya your son is doing everything normal. He maybe lefthanded so he is using his left hand to eat. I think you shud let him do that. Many people are left handed and show it early.I have seen many people eat in left hands in social gatherings.And it looks perfectly normal.
    Coming to cutlery it is still early for him to learn that.You can try teaching him to eat using spoons or forks by doing it in front of him. If you have any kid friendly spoons or forks try offering him the same.Be patient and he will easily pick it up by looking at you eating using them.Good Luck.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I think it is okay for kids to eat with hands at home. We do that, but my DS eats with fork and a spoon at daycare. They will figure that out, so no need to worry. Regarding left hand, if he is a leftie, let him be that way. There are so many people that are left handed.

4. santasekar

santasekar Senior IL'ite

Hi Supriya

Even i feel the same ..........he is doing great for his age .........Even Abhijith uses his hand at home n in day care he uses spoon . Kids get used to things easily . Left hand habit is no harm . Let him do his way .

Regards
    Santasekar

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Dear sindhu,chocolate,santa.Thanks for sharing your views on this.

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Supriya,

At home A uses cutleries and hand depending on the food. Like idli, dos, chapathi he'll eat with hand, rice sometimes he'll ask for spoon, pasta, kanji etc., he'll use spoon. Initially he was a bit confused when we took him to Indian restaurant he wanted to eat rice with hand. Then we explained him that outside he needs to eat with spoon. These days he simply asks us:) I send idli for lunch and his teacher said he ate that with spoon. I do think they cleverly learn things depending on the situation and surroundings. So follow what comes naturally for you at home.

Latha