1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

selection of ss dabras or utensils or dabbas

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sandhyars, Nov 11, 2013.

1. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,
    I have a doubt regarding how to select ss dabras/utensils/dabbas. Recently bought a whole set of 10 dabbas , most of them already developed crack at the brim. Its very difficult to clean them because the crack really hurts the fingers. Also it becomes difficult to close them with the cracks.
    The shop guy assured that the ss is of very good quality and I payed a good amt for each. Please let me know if there are any ways in knowing / checking the quality of ss .

Thanks,
    Sandhya.

2. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

Me too waiting for replies. In the interest of replacing plastic bottles, I lost my money by purchasing above quality of ss tins with lid(about 5 tins of 2 kg capacity).

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

when you see the container, the edges may be rough and on the outside the joint is not so great it is not going to last long.

when you are buying ss container for storage and long haul, go for a better brand which ofcourse are a little costly. the moulding at the top is not sharp. it is easier on your hands..like that vinod/varun..even some brands that are sold locally.I bought a brand called R.m.s and dreamline and they are lasting long.

one tip though, however strong the container, if your water is hard, it tends to hurt the life . so wipe dry and use.

and also don't hit the lid while closing..handle it with care. the careless closing and hitting ont he lid tends to bring on the cracks faster. when buying ensure the lid closes well..not loose or not too tight that you can't open..

for easier identification of what is inside, you can always write it on a chit of paper and seal it ont he top or the side that faces you with a transparent cello tape.

3 people like this.
  4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Shanvy for the tips. I too am planning to buy a few dabbas and these tips are very useful. Thanks again :)

1 person likes this.
  5. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Thank you soo much Shanvy, Infact I was eagerly expecting a reply from "you" because I have been reading a lot about your tips on maintaing house/ kitchen and become a fan :)
    Thank you.
    I have one another question, do these ss come with some quality mark, that we can check? like ISI or Hallmark (for gold).. Maybe I am asking for too much.. just a thought ;-)

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if you can get hold of the original salem steel products nothing like it, but it is real costly and there are very few authentic dealers..

you can always start with the 250ml boxes, then the 500 mil and then the 1 kgs to 2/5kg as you go. remember your kitchen expanded not in a day. if you already have a budget set go and get everything in one go or you can add this to your monthly expense as sundry setting up cost..and not feel the pinch..

just go to a few shops and check out the containers, and you will understand the difference soon.

Stainless steel is catching up. you can find all that you see in plastic in ss these days..just for a idea check out
    Kitchen + Housewares : Kitchen Storage : Canisters, oil pot, spice box, spice jar, containers

7. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Will check out.
    Thank you Shanvy.