1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Selection Of Hospitals & Doctors

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by venlax, Sep 10, 2017.

1. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Dear All,
    My first & foremost advice to u all is to take care of ur heath at any cost. Specially women ignore their both health & body maintenance in young days putting forth so many lame excuses.If u are among them u have to pay a huge cost at the later stage.I am not discouraging & threatening anyone. But u ourselves would have seen it.Sometimes i fear to call anybody for the simple reason i may not hare good news from them.As already my health had gone for none of my fault.
    PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
    Just for information i am posting it. As already written by me it is a blessing in disguise. It had completely turned my life as all Gods & saints helped me to raise up further in spiritual life rather falling down in pit.The urinary bladder cancer identified by me 2 years back turned my life upside down. I am not a smoker,drinker. It will come to men who smoke & drink. My case is one in 1000. I had my surgery in 2015. Most of my organs below waist were removed to avoid spread or recurrence. Pet scan after 3 months no spread,clean. One yr i was normal just looking after myself & even doing minor domestic works. Not going out ,confined to house,3 months interval regular checkups. Net yr took PET scan (2017) . Recurrence in 3 places ,small nodes/growths.Advised for Chemotherapy .Took 4 with my Oncologist. Nice person ,took care of me as a child as i was 65.After that took MRI whole abdomen scan.Suddenly he asked me to go for radiation 22 sittings. The only mistake i did was i didn't talk to him personally. He used to be considerate & will not ask me to visit unless absolutely req. My DH used to go.He only went to so many doctors & got five opinions.All said only 4 are over ,can go for further chemos . Or some alternative surgery.Final radiation. Once done same place can't be done.My stars were not good.

I switched my Oncologist to a family friend of our family friend. To a Hospital where i said i will not go even if u give one crore rupees for my operation i was forced to go because of my Doctor.The problems & agony i faced can be written in pages.But the entire staff are good and quite considerate.Even family members can't take care like that due to their own constraints.What is missing ? I used to be in one shape after chemo.Still i used to go thro discharge summary.very rarely it was o.k.The DS is the main record seen by any other doctor if we go in emergency. Actually i used to appreciate that even a layman can understand the history of patient .Except for discrepancies it is o.k. But the discrepancies will cost ur life when an unknown Dr comes into picture.
    SELECTION
    Cost wise also very expensive.How many hidden charges they add under different categories.Though Insurance cover is there for some items there is also a limit if we have to go on hospitalizing.As per premium paid only we can take cover for senior citizens. What about poor & non insured patients ?

Please be very careful in selection of Hospital & Doctor as our entire fat & life lies in their hands. In one case( my close friend) they had put the sutures inside without removing & completed the surgery.Puss came after some days & when consulted then only the mistake came into limelight. Before the Insurance & Corporate Hospital culture came into existence ,there were no such magnitude of problems & issues. But in emergency like accident etc nothing cane be done ,We have to get admitted in some hospital.Please make a through study in Net, friends doctor relatives etc. for planned hospitalization & select the best. Rather than name & degrees, experience & Kairasi counts.Be very ,very careful ! but one thing. If God's Grace is there any miracle can happen. So believe in that supreme power also.Usually it is said Medicine, stones & Manthras all play a cumulative role in recovery.

" The woods are lovely, dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to g before i sleep"

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Venlax, thanks for the insightful thread. I hope you are doing better now. Selecting a doctor and hospital is a very important decision when one has a major health issue. These decisions are further complicated by insurance coverage etc in the US but there are good resources like ratemd that help with the process . Most cancer centers in the US have a standard protocol for treating different kinds of cancers, it's normally a well planned process. There are tumor boards every week or month discussing complex cases and more cross talk between different specialities.
    Also the fear of lawsuits ensures that everyone does their job pretty efficiently. Ofcourse there might be exceptions to this.
    The system in India is very different where doctors don't seem to communicate efficiently with the patients, sometimes there is no discussion at all. Things are compounded when the patient and family are uneducated, no efforts are made to communicate the treatment plan in layman's terms .
    You are really brave and I know are handling everything gracefully . Sending you lots of good wishes ! Take care.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good topic and write-up, Venlax. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write in such detail. Solid advice in your post.

I was thinking about a similar topic recently, related to choosing doctors. Retirement Age For Doctors?

The tough thing is that such decisions are often required to be made when one is at one's most vulnerable, physically and mentally.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this and other posts filled with opinion, information and experience.

Best Regards,
    -Rihana

Naari, Amica and Sandycandy like this.
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Thank @venlax for sharing your story. Yes, it is important to find the right doctor. In case of serious ailments one should always go for second or multiple opinion ( both in US or India) if possible. Many doctors are not ready even to discuss it well. They are not ready to accept the fact that even common man can get hands on information from internet and are aware of many techniques and treatment methods. So they have every right to raise their concern even though they can not a take decision like a doctor.

Recently I came across a lady (in USA) who was diagnosed with cancer in the pelvic/uterus area. First doctor found something suspicious and even without checking further, asked her to start chemotherapy. She read a lot and explored about it using internet. Finally, she selected another cancer center and went for another opinion. It turned out (after biopsy) that she dont have any cancer. Just a surgery and hysterectomy removed all the suspicious tissues from there. She is doing better now. Her decision to go for second opinion saved her life. Many hospitals and doctors work for Insurance companies and money. We should be very careful about it. It is very important to find one who really care and with whom we can communicate well.

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@venlax, good advice! Especially this:
    I hope you stay cancer-free. My prayers and best wishes are with you.

Sandycandy, Naari and Archanaanchan like this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

In this context, for people living in the United States, the book "An American Sickness" is a must-read. It is a well written, severe indictment of the for-profit healthcare system and its perverse incentives. I cannot recommend it too highly. Reading it is almost an obligation of good citizenship.:confused::mad::(:BangHead::cool:

venlax, Sandycandy, kkrish and 2 others like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @venlax
    This is the first time I am learning about your cancer. Reading this post it appears you have already mentioned it ; I seem to have missed it first time.

It is very nice of you to write this guidance for all of us. Will surely heed your advice.

My thoughts and prayers for strength to fight this and live cancer free.

Regards.

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks soks. Will certainly read it.

9. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Dear all,
    Thanks for ur well wishes & prayers.It is usually said that when a lecture or sermon is given , among 100 or so who hear that ,even one follows, it serves the purpose. That is my aim.I can name some hospitals where one should not go except on emergency.But when we tell this even to close relatives ,they will not listen to our advice.They will have someone in mind & will hear only what they say.I never care such people .But we or our own family members have to help them. That irritates me ,not helping, but their indifferent attitude & the resultant problems dragging us also in the picture.Recently i advised my close relative to go for stem cell therapy instead of artificial Knee transplantation .As one of my ex colleagues , whose wife underwent such surgery is far better, informed that it is better to have our own cells transplanted in our body rather than a foreign body. He didn't listen . His fate works. Thats all.
    Anyhow Yoga/Exercises/walking/meditation/nutritious food /trying to develop a calm & positive attitude to life with all it's challenges so many things .if developed from young age really helps. Even though it may not prevent certain diseases,it gives mental & spiritual strength to face such serious chronic illness.Again thanks a lot.
    " The woods are lovely,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to g before i sleep"

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite