1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seems Like End Of My Breastfeeding Relationship..

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by fourthaugust, Feb 14, 2017.

1. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies. I am here again with another problem . I breastfed my elder son for 2 and half year. This is my second baby and breastfeeding with this baby was a very smooth ride, I have enough supply and he was feeding like champ only a few weeks ago. For the past couple of weeks he is getting so much distracted that he feeds only when he has slept. He never feeds when he is completely alert or when he wakes up from naps. That gives us only 4-5 feeds per day. He sometimes goes 5 hours between the feeds and I keep offering him but every time he is offered he screams murder and refuses. Its only when he is very drowsy he would take the boob. Nighttime feedings are also not great because though he wakes up 4-5 times during the night he goes back to sleep after couple of sucks. No matter how hard I try he would not wake up to finish his feed.

I am so stressed out and afraid that my supply might dwindle one day. He is peeing and pooping but its nothing compared to what it used to be couple of weeks ago. I need to hear from all you ladies out there about your experiences and probably need some assurance too that things will settle down soon.

My elder son loved to nurse so it was not a problem with him.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

How old is the second one?
    The same thing happened to me.
    My first one would want BF all the time and continued till I conceived the second one.
    The second one had a good run for 3-4 months and lost interest after that.I had to literally force her and she would giggle and bite.
    From six months to nine months...I could get her to bf only twice a day...that two more for my motherly satisfaction.
    She refused after 9 months.
    I started solids at 4-5 months just like the first one.

She was always a healthy and happy baby and now she is a smart 19 year old.

madras2018 likes this.
  3. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi I had similar situation.my first one used to go 5 hours without feeding when she was 4 months! I was really worried .Either she will be playing else just distracted .I used to force but she won't drink untill she feels it.same as your experience .Night time she will drink .i even checked with doctor .He said it's normal .Sometime they get into exploring and playing so they won't feel drinking milk.around three weeks it went like that .Slowly she started drinking again.When she was 8 months she used to do this again.Whenever she doesn't drink I reduce the amount of solids which will make her wanting milk and back to the routine ..

yellowmango likes this.
  4. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, try to use a breast pump and maintain the same frequency (2/3 hrs). It will help you to maintain milk supply. My elder one gave up breast feeding by 7/8 months when I had ample supply. Some how he lost interest in it. I did know that time that I need to maintain the bf frequency to maintain supply. I was lazy too. It was hard on my body and I suffered for sometime. How old is your baby ? May be it is a temporary phase. I tried to maintain demand by using b pump for my second one, she continued it up to 2 yrs. She got less infections than my son in the first five years. so I think bf help with immunity.

5. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Thanks ladies. My little one will turn 4 months in a week. I feel like crying every time he rufese. I feel that he is starving himself. Breastmilk is the best but not sure how to keep going. I considered pumping but dont want to invest in a very fancy pump as he is my last baby and I am not going to work until this baby turns preschooler.

6. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

did she gain any weight that month??

7. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

You should check with insurance ,normally they gives one pump free. So you no need to invest but as @DDream said " keep pumping". I did the same .I used to feed through bottle when I feel she is starving .Pumping helped me to keep up with my supply .I felt bottle is comparatively easy to get , so she is ready to drink from bottle( that too depends on her mood) but in my case it was just for few weeks.Later she came back to breastfeeding ( thank God )even for day time. I felt it's just a phase .

There was no weight issues as she was fed in the night time and through bottle in the day time.That time I didn't give any solids. She was just on breast milk.

Did you check with your doctor ?

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, Are you in US. If so, you can try craiglist. You may get one for less money if your insurance in not covering it. The main part is the system. Rest we can sterilize. Any way keep pumping and try to maintain frequency. you can use soft spoon if that works or feeding bottle. I tried so many varieties of feeding bottle for my elder one. He didnt like any of it. Finally I succeeded with similac soft nipples with medela bottles. If you are worried please consult your doctor. If baby is healthy & happy nothing to worry, may be it is a temporary phase.

9. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

thanks ladies
    My insurance does not cover for breast pump. My baby looks fine and happy and meeting milestones but its just that he is nursing pretty less. Had a talk with the pediatrician who said its normal and since he has been gaining weight chances are less that he would starve himself. Trying to accept these arguments and hoping that its just a passing phase.