Seemantham - Udhagasanthi" or "Uthakashanthi

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by anurar20, Mar 19, 2012.

1. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Dear ILites,

Can anyone post about how to perform seemantham?

I heard Udhagasanthi japam should be perform in seemantham. can any one help me with this. where can i download and how to perform ? I want lyrics of this.

Please help me.

2. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Hi anu

Rig / Yajur vedic Pandits are only allowed to chant these Vedic Mantras
    Hope you will perform Pumpsavanam with the help of your vedic pandit.

Regards

3. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your feedback.......can you please explain Pumpsavanam please sir

4. malaswami

Pumsavana is performed in the third or fourth month of pregnancy when the moon is in a male constellation, particularly the Pushya-nakshatra. This symbolises a male child. Therefore the term pumsavana literally means 'male procreation'.

"Having pounded milk with any of these herbs - Sulakshmana, Batasurga, Sahadevi and Vishwadeva - one should instil three or four drops of juice in the right nostril of the pregnant woman. She should not spit out the juice."

Pumsavanam is the samskara performed with the objective of getting male progeny and preventing abortions. Generally it ia performed in the 2nd or 3rd month of the pregnancy.

a) Lord of the month of pregnancy: The lord of the month of pregnancy should be strong in transit.
    1st month Venus
    2nd month Mars
    3rd month Jupiter
    4th month Sun
    5th month Moon
    6th month Saturn
    7th month Mercury
    8th month Lord of the conception lagna
    9th month Moon
    10th month Sun

During the time of pregnancy the concerned month lord should be strong in transit.

b) Naksatras: Mrigasira, Pushyami, Moola, Sravana, Punarvasu, Hasta and all fixed nakshatras (Uttara triam and Rohini) are good.
    c) Tithis: 1,2,3,5,7,10,11 and 13 tithis of both pakshas are good.
    d) Days: Male days, i.e., Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday are good.
    e) Lagna: Lagnas and Navamsa lagans of male signs (odd signs) with benefics in kendras and trikonas and malefics in 3,6,11 houses are auspicious. Tara bala and Chandra bala for the pregnant woman is required.

Udakashaanthi and Pratisara bandha.
    These two rituals must be done on the day before the Seemantha or in the morning, before the Seemantham. Varuna is invoked in the Kalasa (pot). In a banana leaf, grains of rice or sesuma are spread out. Then drawing a diagram like a lotus with two Darba (Imperata Cylindrica) grasses held together. The Kalasa is placed on this and then encircled by thread. Once this has been done, an aarti is performed for the Kalasa. The Kalasa
    is filled with water and at it's mouthare placed a sprig of mango leaves with the leaves pointing outwards and a coconut placed in the center of the leaves on the mouth of the Kalasa. The Kurchaor spreading of Darbha
    grass around the Kalasa is to ward away the obstacles caused by the negative forces (Rakshasas). The Mango leaves etc. will eradicate other defects (doshas) the coconut which has three eyes will drive away sins. Mantras explaining this are chanted.

Pratisarabandha' or 'Kankana' is to be tied on the wrist of the pregnant lady for protection against evil forces. Then the Brahmins are askedto utter japa of Gayatri and three other Mantras, 'Vedadi' ,'Krunushva' , 'Agneyashasrin' . Then Dadhigra, Aapo, Hinya, Pavamana, Varuna suktam, Bhahma sooktham, vishnu sooktham, sree sooktham, are chanted.

At last after all the rituals, and after theertha prokshana come the final hym as follows
    As the Sacred water is sprinkled on the lady, Theertha Prokshana, the priest recites a humn for the child to be born without any deformity

1.Yatheva somah pavathe yatha samudra ejati. Evam tey garbha ejatu.Sahajaraayunaa nishkramya pratitishtatvaayushi brahmavarchasi yashasi veeryeannadye.

2.Dasha masaancha Shayano dhaatra hi tatha krutam. Ethu garbho akshato jeevo jeevantyaah.

Meaning : Like the soma creeper oozing out from the juice in a sacrifice, the the ware of the ocean, may your pregnancy be sommoth and the child born, with a long life, brilliance, fame, vigour and strength. Brahma has ordained your pregnancy for ten months. I pray for you to release the child with full life and yourself (the mother) having full life.

Hope this clears to some extent.

Regards
    Swaminatha Sharma

5. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot sir, Very well explained and cleared my doubts. very useful infos. Thank you very much once again sir.

6. malaswami

You are most welcome Anu.
    My lord Shiva bless you always

Regards