1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking Advise

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Desimommy, Sep 10, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You need to be little tactful here. This black or white approach will not work.
    Find a fine balance....

If I were you, I would neither leave the kitchen to MIL, nor do I cook everything according to my schedule.
    I would cook the basic, yet important stuff that I am not afford to miss in any case. In your last example, it is the main dish.
    Let MIL cook whatever the side dish, fry, sweets or anything as she pleases.
    At the end of the day, her items may complement with your dish or not. No harm, as you don't have to rush at the last minute by leaving your other plans.

My point is, don't get possesive of your kitchen when guests are around, specially in laws.
    Let them cook and do what they want at their son's place as they please. It definitely pleases your H, and hence the bond between you two.
    At the same time, don't depend on them way too much on your family matters.
    Eg: Your food, your H's food, the tiffin box items to work, the kid's food are all important, and you can't rely on them.
    At the same time, MIL can contribute with her additional dishes, sweets or even another main dish.
    It is not a crime to have a couple of main dishes when guests are around. After all, you all need some nice food once in a while!!!

SinghManisha likes this.
  2. VandhenaKrish

VandhenaKrish Silver IL'ite

Dear OP , Shall I tell u something? Everybody has this phase in life .. The stress is because you are preoccupied with the thoughts like what and all sufferings ahead upon their arrival .. those who live with in laws are used to this everyday chaos and found some way to manage it .. your DH spends lot of time with them now because he sees them occasionally but after having them permanently they are also going to be like how you are for him .. that is the treatment would be same ... Above all , it's totally in you .. you have brought two kids to this world .. they are ur world u should pack up urself with ample of positive energy n start looking into everyday as a boon .. I hope u will .gud luck . After all , all of us are humans to stand in front of other humans with courage ..

SinghManisha likes this.
  3. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Very very important points

4. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Why are we women stuck with this problem? In fact most people don't even think how badly daughter in laws are treated in superficially happy families. Tell your husband that his parents should stay in India as they can be more independent there. Here they will have to depend on both of you and you have jobs also to take care of.

yesican likes this.
  5. Desimommy

Desimommy Bronze IL'ite

Its been couple of months since I posted. I have been hanging in there. Have adjusted quite a bit. There are times when I want to give up completely. But compromise thinking they are my DH parents who mean a world to them. Recently our nanny out of blue had to take off, and my DH confidently asked his parent to look after my kids after they return home, while I wanted them to stay in daycare. DH wants IL to bond with kids, which is a reasonable request. And I carried along. Unfortunately, Its been a nightmare cause I am coming back from work early almost every single day. I get a call from home from kids as they are left without been fed. ILS are in their room watching videos and they turn on the tv for the kids. I know their travel is almost to a tail end and my nanny about to return. Can't wait for my life to return back to normal.

yesican likes this.
  6. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

I once slipped on the staircase in my in laws house. The lady laughed in front of me and thoroughly enjoyed my fall. Her precious son also slipped on the same staircase but that was no laughing matter. All mils are designed to hate their dils