1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking Advise

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Desimommy, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My thought process has always been that FIL needs certain food, cooked in a certain way and served in a certain way. If I ever took control of my kitchen, I would be biting off more than I can chew.
    MIL truly is a passionate cook. She enjoys feeding her son and grandkids. I don't feel like taking that away. She has small things she can do for them(my thought, not something she said).
    My kids are overindulged in the food arena. I make what they eat or want or ask for. Same with GPs. They always try to make exceptions for the kids. Sometimes, my kids take advantage of that. I felt like making my kids eat what's on the table once in a while isn't a deal breaker. It could be different for OP. Just putting it out there.

+1 - I don't agree with early morning chai prep and all. I have my DH do all that. I've been told multiple times to wake up early on Sat/Sun and make chai/b'fast before the maid/cook show up. I just delegate to DH. Even when my folks visited. Hard week, need sleep, don't care what happens. How I miss that life! I'm having to wake up early daily. I want to go back to india today!!!!!!!!!

This! It's better to stay on the sidelines and let him do the work rather than you bring it up preemptively.

MalStrom and Sunshine04 like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That is true, but the lady of the house should not feel unwelcome in her own kitchen. Being made to feel like an outsider every weekday in her kitchen is not right. GP's can cook and feed for grandchildren, and that is such a bond if it happens, but, not at the cost of the woman feeling unwelcome in her own kitchen.

Kids learning to eat what grandmother makes even if it is not their favorite is a good habit to instill. Key is once in a while. And, not at the cost of kids' mother being unwelcome in her own kitchen. There are women who simply give up the kitchen for the months that mother or MIL is visiting, and that is a great arrangement, if the woman is happy with it, not forced. Here the MIL seems to be dictating kitchen usage -- weekdays OP is not welcome, but weekend wake up early and cook for in-laws.

MalStrom, Laks09 and shravs3 like this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I get along well with my PIL’s but it is never easy when they visit since we have totally different cultures and mindsets.
    A) Come up with a weekly schedule for the kitchen. You and MIL can cook on alternate days. This worked good for me , they did not have to eat my Garam Masala laced curries and I did not have to eat their gun powder laced curries everyday.

B) Touching feet is prevalent in our North Indian culture but it is done willingly out of respect and not forced upon. If it makes you uncomfortable don’t do it everyday.

C) Weekends are meant for resting . My in laws would wake up early. Friday evening I would have dosa / idli batter ready for them and told them since you get up early help yourselves. The dosa pan,plates , coffee powder everything is kept out ready to go.

D) Having in laws move in permanently
    is a major life altering event specially for the DIL. This has to be a mutual decision. Set your rules and boundaries during these short visits so there are few expectations for the permanent stays.
    Also discuss with husband what you are and not willing to do if they stay permanently.

E) Like others here suggested do not stop living your life because of their stay. This is your way of reiterating your position as a independent opinionated woman and not just being their obedient DIL.

F)kids should have a good relationship with their grandparents. Do not let your opinions or issues spill onto their relationship. I agree 100 % with @Laks09 here !

G) Look at your MIL behavior similar to a small child . She is probably testing boundaries and seeing what she can get away with. So it is important for you to set those boundaries and decide what is ok and what is not. The tantrums will stop once she knows she cannot have her way.

H) Do not give up sleeping in your room, the only space where there is some chance of communication with your husband . * include date nights in your clause when PIL’s move in permanently.

I) You need to find your strength and peace of mind . Fight the important battles but ignore the small tiffs. Make a list of issues in decreasing order of annoyance . The ones at the bottom of the list can be ignored.

Desimommy likes this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It wasn't easy at first but then I saw the benefit to it :) A lot of it is about control. If control of the kitchen is keeping her happy then so be it. It did make her less controlling over other things I did! While living in India, neither of us had control of the kitchen. The cook decided what is to be cooked.
    Where is the chatter thread when I need it. This is a tangential discussion!

Anisu likes this.
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

Have you consider, renting / buying a apartment / town home for your ILs to live separately? It is the optimal arragment. It is not like in India, kids stay with us only till HS and they need our undivided attention / love and emotional support.

I have seen families that were messhed their kids education / emotional state because of exended relatives permantely staying in their house. Kids will emotionally move away when they see mom and dad relationship is strained. Cannot blame the elders, they do deserve lots of our love /attention, but our kids will not understand the Indian customs. Many PILs have very dominating personaility, and they don't understand their "time/place", act for their age.

Since your DH is the only son, getting their GC is also necessary. Talk with your DH and find ILs their own place.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    sindmani and MalStrom like this.
  6. Desimommy

Desimommy Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for your wise thoughts.
    Yes, I am quite independent; and try to stay involved in volunteering. Its a long story- but I have changed the course of my life around my hobby; which is what I have started pursuing. It keeps me so busy that I don't get time to think about these items. But when I come home, it comes back and dawn me. I feel like I am coming out of closet on this topic. But yes this is my weakness and dread it the most.

A) My kids are not comfortable as much around my MIL. MIL never takes the initiative to bond. The max I have seen her do is 1) cook them halwa for them which they don't like or b) take a pic with them. My kids want someone to play with. As a baby they never felt the bond. I have tried it several times. When they leave and go back to India; they would never call or message them. The only conversation that happens between them and her/FIL is how are tyou and how's the weather. I feel it is a two way road. I would like them to have a good relationship with my kids but can't force this upon both. I may sound too negative at this point but I have stopped trying after a lot of trials and I was the only one that became evil. So I have given up being the mediator. Cause in the end I am the DIL/who doesn't care.

B) MIL says she can only make daal and sabzi. She tried making pasta but added indian masala. When I cant eat that, how can I force my child to eat? On a regular week day- my kids do eat Grand ma ka khana and whenever they eat; I make it a point they thank and appreciate her cooking. But I do feel that they are kids and somedays they deserve to skip daal/sabzi; eat maggi/ idli or Mexican.

C) My DD is very sensible and sensitive at the same time. She is usually respects elders and is softspoken. May be cause I am her mom, I may have a biased opinion; but I am very proud of her. She is 9 years now; and recently came up and told me of how her grand ma compares her to my SIL's daughter everytime. (My SIL daughter is the same age as my DD; and it becomes natural to draw comparisons.) And while I refrain sharing anything with her; she has recently come up and told me how she prefers nani ma than dadi ma. And ma, I know sometimes you are sad as daddy don't spend much time with you when Dadu dadi are around. It pricks my heart! She is growing and can comprehend all the stuff around her. I have tried to change topics, asked her to treat both Nani/Dadi as same level and have said its a temp thin - your dad is a son and how he's trying to make them comfortable. But also feel that she may buy into these things now but wouldn't for long. Like you said, I don't want adults complex situations come in the way to bond between grand parents.

sindmani, Laks09 and SinghManisha like this.
  7. Desimommy

Desimommy Bronze IL'ite

This is something DH will never consider. I have brought it up in the past; and his parents are orthodox with this approach. They will say we are better of in india with our relatives than you. My FIL also doesn't drive; and the city we live in doesn't have great public transportation; which will make him isolated to the apartment. Hence he will never have a courage to even bring this up.

8. Desimommy

Desimommy Bronze IL'ite

Oh boy! It is good to know. I almost cried seeing this. Probably I am high on hormones today; but I felt like I am been the bad DIL even thinking of not doing it. But I can't ever forget the pain of doing it when I was 9 month pregnant and not even once she said to not do it.

9. Desimommy

Desimommy Bronze IL'ite

Good thoughts. But I think it will take a major mind shift. I can give it a try. I think personally I have become so negative around this whole idea that I always feel like I am the victim. I have been trying to avoid. You know what- my heart races when I step into the kitchen as if I am doing a crime of some sort! I don't speak much around them.I avoid the talk. I just respond to what is been asked for. As I mentioned; I have done all of that and got bitten in the past. I take the route of spending as much time at work as possible. Go home extremely tired, try to keep weekends as busy as possible. Guess I am trying to avoid confronting this whole situation. Jeez- reading your comments and writing this down, makes me realize there is something wrong with me. Do you think I need help?

10. Desimommy

Desimommy Bronze IL'ite

A) DH drives the schedules of the kitchen. To give you an example, If I will soak rajma in the morning, by the time I come home - daliya or saag will be cooked. (Saag and dailya- my kids will not eat). When I ask, DH will say I asked mom to cook that and asked her to leave rajma for weekend cause you cook rajma better. I have spoken to him about stop being the mediator. But he believes its better that way to keep things moving; and keep both balance between the MIL and me.
    B) I am now used to it; don't feel happy but don't feel sad either. Just go with that thought- if that makes MIL happy; so be it.
    C) Honestly I have changed my schedule. With so much stress; I don't get any sleep anymore. I am up anyhow now so it feels like since I am up anyways; might as well make them BF around weekends.
    D) Not sure how to impose rules. Saying it is easy but doing it is tough. Happy to hear your thoughts around this?
    E). I guess I may need help. I am cornering myself. I don't feel happy anymore. I believe talking or venting to friends will make them judge me as we all meet and see each other. That's why I came to this forum. Thinking getting perspective would help and also help me gather my thoughts if I am wrong or not.
    F) Like I said, I try not to let grand kids impression change cause of me or my thoughts. However I also feel I can be me only in front of my kids. Sometimes when I lay down next to my kids; yes my eyes get watery and I weep. But I don't share - why.
    G) I broke my rib recently (they were with my SIL at that time). DH didn't share about this with them. When I asked why he has not shared with them cause they will be here and should know about it; he said "I didn't know if you wanted them to know". He probably shared with my MIL later. I was surprised how casually my MIL asked. She said, DH said something happened and now you are okay. Are you okay? obviously my response was "yes, i am ok. After hearing this, I felt I need not expect anything from them. Even a child would have empathized or called to check on me. When we go out socially; people ask in a much more caring way in front of them. So I am not sure if you think this is a child like behavior. I feel alone in this and feels like talking about it even with my DH will make me call for attention. Am I wrong in expecting to be cared for?