1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Second Foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumanr, Jun 14, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey all

Back to the topic I discussed sometime back ....I want to know about textures. DD now has idly fed with hand, but oats etc, I give it pureed. She seems to have troubles (vomits) if I give her un pureed food.
    She has 4 BIG teeth and likes to be given hard food, but I am not very comfortable in giving them.

How do u all give veggies? what about rice?

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

everything is mashed with potato masher here ramya...... but she chews bread...soaked rusk... chapati... with her 1 TOOTH :D

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

I overcook rice, cubed veggies, but never mash them too well these days. I have reduced mashing a lot, there are lot of veggie cubes in his dish, i feed him as such. He doesnt have teeth yet, but he chews them. Chapathi, bread, rusk, biscuits, cookies, all he eats on his own, chews on his own, soaks in his own mouth, drools and then chews, swallows them, lol ! That happy achievement expression is soo nice :) I use the pillsbury big spoon. Cubed veggies, banana, papaya, chikoo, are his fav finger foods.

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

I am actually worried about this ...i still use the mixie ...she eats bread, idly, dosa etc. But if there is anything grainy, she cannot tolerate. I think the reason is under cooking.

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, the veggies are in this consistency - when you just crush the cube with your fingers, it should mash. Give her a plate full of colourful veggies, you too have a plate, show her how to grab, take it to mouth, transfer, chew and eat. If you do the demo, they will catch :) Try banana, papaya, chikkoo, you need not bother about cooking in this at all. Or cooked soft apple cubes too. Let us know how she does :) Everything depends on when your baby is ready :)

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

we recently started watermelons with Z and she loves it....

7. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

ramya, do you use mixie for bread, idli etc?

Laya eats rice unmashed these days. She hated pureed rice. so what I did was I overcook rice in a pressure cooker, did not drain the water off completely, retained some moisture (more or less like kanji) and started giving her and she was happily taking it. A friend of mine has a 1 year old who cannot eat unmashed food, she pukes. I recently suggested her to do this and she told me two days back that her DD is taking rice kanji now. overcook and retain moisture.

I have not yet started self feeding except for biscuits. I should try bread pieces as they are less messy.

btw, she has 6 teeth now!!!!

8. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

same qn. Laya normally takes a big bite. I am not worried if it is a biscuit, but steamed veggies?

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Rekha - No I do not use mixie for idly, soft dosa, bread etc. I just mash it with hand before feeding. She even takes crushed biscuits etc. But my concern is more for rice rava, dhalia and the likes. Even if I cook it for 5-6 whistles and mash it well, she is not able to take it.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

she will eventually, theres no hurry :)