1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Second Foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumanr, Jun 14, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Thanks for the information you shared in the thread 'First Foods'. While we have a detailed recipe table for 9-12 months, what I want to know now was - When did you stop pureeing the food.
    Right now, whether it is veg, fruit, cereal ...whatever I blend it. When can I start introducing texture?

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya i do blend ,but leave lots of texture,meaning i dont blend it well....just one quick swirl.she is okay with it

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Looks like DD has texture issues. I tried the gerber peas yesterday ...she just spat it off

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

hmmm, maybe wait for a few more weeks then.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya this is an interesting read

Overcoming baby feeding problems - How to slowly add texture to your baby's food

• <LI class=custom>Start by thickening baby's purees - you could use cereal to do this, or even mashed egg yolk. Although thicker, the puree should still be smooth - this gives your baby the opportunity to become accustomed to a "heavier" type of food before he has to deal with actual lumps. <LI class=custom>Next, try using a food mill to grind soft fruits or vegetables - this will give you a texture that is only slightly lumpy. <LI class=custom>You can also try grating a peeled apple and adding this to a smooth base, such as yogurt (see our introducing dairy page for more information about including yogurt in your baby's diet). <LI class=custom>Another good method is to puree half of your baby's food and grind the other half. Again, this provides texture within a smooth base.
    • Once baby is happy with these foods, you can move on to mashing food and, finally, chopping it.

Read more: Baby Feeding Problems

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

THanks a lot Poonam. I will try these.
    - I am doing the first one -ie- thickening the purees.
    - Food mill part I did not understand. Did some googling, but I am not sure what equivalent I can use from our kitchen.

DD said no to Idly and I am sure it is bcause of the texture. I have also started adding a tiny bit of salt and she is ok with it.

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Ramya,

you can try mashing the stuff with the dhal masher(mathu in tamil)..when the item is hot enough mashign with it is very easy.Else you can use a heavy laddle(kuli karandi).

We tend to avoid mashing with mixie..coz it gives a totally different texture and a different smell..

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya a food mill is this

[​IMG]

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Cindhu - Thanks. I was thinking of 'matthu', but was not sure if it will mash the food enough. How old is ur LO?

Poonam - Yes, I googled and got the picture of a food mill. Do we get it here?

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Ramya,

This is my first pregnancy :)..But i have been in a joint family since birth so seen all these tactics and nuances in kitchen...come across lot many growing up with all these

For my bil's kid too they did the same..

Mathu is effective only if the food is hot enough else you will have to put more pressure..mom used to first mash with the mathu and then do it manually too to avoid lumps or tit-bits.select a proper vessel..don't try whipping in mixie(sooda irundha it smells weird)..kids start avoiding solids then :hide: