1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Second birthday- Train themed- part 1

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by nuss, Oct 28, 2014.

1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

hi All,

We celebrated our little one's second birthday last weekend. Our theme was "Trains" as he is totally in love with trains. This was one of the few occasions I actually planned ahead. Our decoration was very simple, mostly handmade as I love DIYs. We invited ~35 guests and final turn out was 24 (11 kids). I will break the planning in different categories:

Venue: We rented a hall in our university community center. It was free of cost.

Food: Our party was 5-7 pm to avoid nap times. We planned a full meal that we catered from a Mexican restaurant. Our menu was:
    Pork, Chicken, Rice, Beans, Tortillas and fruits. everyone made their own burritos/ tacos. For drinks, we had orange juice for kids, sodas for adults, water and chai (Indian tea).

Games/ crafts: We had coloring books, washable markers and crayons but kids mostly ran around and it was a beautiful day so they played outside some.

Decoration: To pull off the theme, I made a birthday banner with train engine and cars and a party hat with an engine and car on it. I used a chalk board to write my son's age as we decided not to use the candle again this year (we will use next year, at 3 he would understand the concept of candle better). His cake was our favorite " Tres leches" with a train theme (though we don't care about Thomas but there weren't very many choices). Other than that, I made a train out of fruits and used balloons all around.

DSCN3691.jpg edit] (3).jpg
    DSCN3688.jpg DSCN3685.jpg

7 people like this.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister Nuss,

Wishing your DS a belated Happy Birthday and may he cherish every birthday of his, Wow the fruits train is great looking, Hope you enjoyed the day.

Thanks for sharing, Sairam

1 person likes this.
  3. ammmullu

ammmullu Gold IL'ite

belated happy bday to your son ... very nice thanks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  4. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

They are two they are 4 they are 6 and 8!!! Thooomas aaaaand his friends!! ;) I love that song...nice theme :)
    belated happy birthday to your DS!! I am sure he had a great party!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Nuss, Wishing the little jack a very happy birthday! I love that board which said Choo-choo Jack is 2!! I will sned you a PM to help me come up with something suitable for my M Nuss!

Loved the cake to. Do share the details. Butter cream or fondant? Layered? looks so yum!

1 person likes this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you all for the wishes!
    Rakhii- the cake was Tres leches (in Spanish meaning 3 milks) with whipped cream. The Mexican bakery makes their own whipped cream and it is so yummy. Usually they have strawberry between layers (2 layered, half sheet) but my DH doesn't eat any berries so we asked them to have whipped cream between the layers as well. Because it is Tres Leches, it is soaked in evaporated and condensed milk that gives very different flavor.
    Sure, I'd love to brain storm with you. Birthday planning for kids are fun and you always have great ideas anyway.