Seating Posture In Work Place

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Barupavi, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILites,
    Now a days whenever I get a question in my mind I think of posting in IL rather than asking with anybody. And IL has always been there for me.
    Now my question is here.Till now I was in a job where there was little physical work,like walking from one place to another place and frequent breaks.But now I am not able to move from my place and seeing the system for the whole day without moving my eyes anywhere.Now my problem is that I get back pain and neck pain.
    Many will be experiencing the same in workplace.What you all do to relax your body and eyes.Any exercise you do specifically for back strengthening.It has been just two months in this job.How can I manage some 30 more years. Please suggest some ways which worked for you.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

No one have an idea:fearful:

3. anehstar

anehstar Silver IL'ite

Hi Barupavi,
    Sitting whole day at one place puts lot of pressure on your back. Since you have started experiencing back and neck pain, it is recommended to do some stretches and practice yoga. Please search for yoga exercises for back and neck pain. You can do it at home before you leave for the office or in the evening.
    At workplace, you have to make it a habit to get up after 45 mins to 1 hr to either fill up your water bottle or go to the washroom, even if you don''t feel like. You can also just go for a casual walk via stairs and come back. Its a matter of 5-10 mins but it will help. Also, you can keep a pillow or cushion for your back support. For eyes, keep your gaze off the screen from time to time and do some rolling eye exercise.
    Since it just started, so better to nip it in the bud. Practice it and hopefully you ll feel better in couple of weeks,.

Anvitha, Barupavi and blessings1010 like this.
  4. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

I know that pain very well. Never had any issues in my 20s even though I was hooked onto desk almost all day and at times crazy working nights. But now in 30s, I can't function quite effectively doing a desk job.

I saw a chiropractor couple of years back and she took spine xray. Both me and DH have some misalignment in the spine due to wrong postures over the years. So she suggested us few chair yoga poses. You will get a plenty of them online as well. Just google " chair yoga" and search. Pinterest is also good source of some exercises to be done in office. My favorite is sitting in padmasana on office chair. Thanks to the nature of my work, if there is no chair in the conf room/ meeting room, I get into padmasana on the floor/ table itself. I don't mind being a little weird for the comfort.

We also got a yoga ball and ergonomic office chair for myself and DH, as suggested by the doctor.

Other than that, I second @anehstar on taking frequent breaks from work throughout the day. Few cost-effective tips that we do here are:

1. Keep mobile and kindle away from desk and monitor. I tend to keep it in the tiffin bag at the far end of my cabin at work. I have to get up from the chair and get away from monitor if I have to access phone.

2. Keep a tiny water bottle at the desk. Every couple of hours, you will get it to fill it up

3. Pomodoro technique is my life and back saver. After every 25-30 mins, I get up from the chair. a little bit stretching and bending like chair yoga poses. and then get back to another task. IF the client provides me cabin, this is manageable. But if i am working with the team setting where we all huddle together in meetings/ workshops, I am the odd girl in the block. But after few days, the team understands that and dont make as much fun of me

4. Outlook meeting manager and scheduler is also awesome to set time for a lunch, walk, catching up with colleagues

5. Towards the end of the working day, I try to switch to yellow colored glasses to reduce the glare of screen. Again, I am a weird lady. But some folks use anti glare screens on the monitor. I don't because my work place and hence the monitor keeps changing.

6. Also using marma points acupressure helps for back pain. But please check with your doctor first.

7. Lifting your legs up when you intend to sit for longer duration on the office chair also helps.

Hope it helps you. Take care and if available, please visit chiropractor at-least once.

xoxo,
    Blessings1010

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

vajra asana, you do, you can do this after eating food also. Whenever sitting at home sit like this. It automatically make your posture good, even when sitting in office. ie. keeing your back straight. it makes your back strong.
    Vajrasana (yoga) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also add cobra pose , salabha asana, and setu bandh asana helps to make your core strong.
    http://healthxwellness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Yoga-Poses-For-Back-Pain.jpg

Today I had a doc appointment, my back was paining, so I was sitting straight (in waiting hall) and looking into my phone, one lady (70+ years old) was passing there and said "nice posture." I said thank you. I remembered this when I saw your thread . :grinning:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Barupavi and blessings1010 like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ask your IT guys if they can set you up with a standing desk. They are very popular in the tech industry. The desk sits at waist level and I do most of my work standing up. We are also provided a raised chair, in case we feel like sitting. I spend anywhere from 4-6 hours standing at my desk. It is the best solution for posture issues. Encourages you to walk around too. Something like the image below. I've been using one since late last year and loving it. Most people on my floor use one now.

standing-desks-workplace-productivity.jpg

Barupavi, anehstar, Amica and 4 others like this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Try a standing desk like Gauri said.

If your employer refuses to provide standing desks, you can bring your own standing desk converter to work.

And get computer glasses.

Good luck, @Barupavi. :thumbsup:

Barupavi likes this.
  8. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

@anehsta
    Thank you for your suggestions and concern.But we do not have stairs at our office:confundio1::grinning:

9. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

@anehstar
    Thanks for your suggestions and concern.But we do not have stairs in our office:confundio1::grinning:

10. Barupavi

Barupavi Bronze IL'ite

@blessings1010
    Thanks for all the tips gained from your experience. I would like to be the odd girl to save my back:blush: