Scrumptious mini idlis in spicy sambar.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vaishsenthil, Feb 11, 2009.

1. vaishsenthil

vaishsenthil New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I’ve decided to come out with some of the recipes that I & my famil have enjoyed. I will be posting them in my thread which am sure all of you will relish. I invite your valuable comments and suggestions on this.
    [​IMG]

My mum makes mini idli-sambar quite often. Although I’m not very much into idlis these scrumptious mini idlis- soaked in spicy sambar topped with aromatic ghee has always kindled my taste buds.
    The idli and sambar compliment each other quite well, mainly because the sambar is prepared with a unique blend of spices.

Recipe:

Ingredients (idli):

urad dhall: 1 cup
    Idli rice: 5 cups.
    Poha (aval) 2 tbs.( from my experience, adding poha makes idlis much softer)
    Salt 6tsp.

Method:

Soak urad dhal and idli rice separately for approx 3 hours. Poha should be soaked along with rice. Grind the rice and dhal separately and mix them together with salt. Keep it overnight before making idlis..I normally put the batter in a preheated oven during winter. The batter gets fermented in a couple of day’s time.
    [​IMG]

Pour the batter in mini idli mould and steam it for 10 mins or until done. Let the idlis cool before soaking them in Sambar.
    [​IMG]
    Ingredients (for sambar)

Shallots (sambar onions) 10 nos
    1 small tomato
    Curry leaves (few)
    Tamarind one small lemon sized (soaked in approx 2 cups of warm water)
    Toor dhal ¼ cup
    Ghee
    Mustard seeds 1tsp
    Turmeric ¼ tsp
    Salt (according to taste)
    Hing a small pinch

Masala paste for sambar:
    Ingredients:

Channa dhal 2 tbs
    Urad dhal 1tsp
    Coriander seeds 2 1/2 tbs
    Cumin seeds ½ tsp
    Fenugreek seeds ¼ tsp
    Red chillies: 3-4 nos (depends on how spicy you want)
    Onion (medium sized) 1 (chopped
    Tomato (medium sized) 1(chopped)
    Coconut: 2tbs
    Roasted channadhal: 1 1/2 tsp
    In little oil roast the spices one by one (except coconut and roasted channa dhal) until the flavour comes out, doing this way the spices don’t get burnt, besides the flavour of the spice is retained. .then fry the chopped onions and tomatoes until done. Grind the above with coconut and roasted channa dhal into fine paste.

Method:

Boil toor dhal (or pressure cook) until done. In a kadai add little oil add mustard seeds.when it starts to splutter add curry leaves, hing and shallots, followed by chopped tomatoes, saute until the tomatoes become soft. Now add the masala paste, turmeric, and salt. pour in the tamarind water let it simmer for a while..then add the boiled toor dhal. Let it cook for some more time or until the raw smell just leaves the sambar.
    [​IMG]
    Presentation:
    Place the mini idlis in a bowl. Pour the sambar over it, preserve some sambar for later use. Let the idlis soak in sambar for around 10 mins. While serving pour the remaining sambar and add a tablespoon of ghee. Enjoy

2. vidhu63

vidhu63 Gold IL'ite

Hi Vaish,

Nice mini idli and sambar receipe. I usually do idlis at home which is always wonderful. So soft oh wow, all from my family enjoy that. I have to try this type and your sambar menu. Nice, keep posting.

3. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Hi Vaish,

Wow!!! the idli and sambar looks so yummy!!!!, but the idlis i make will be a little hard, i will try ur receipe i liked it very much post more receipes.

Priya

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi Vaish,
    So mouthwatering, i am hungry. I will try your recipe
    Jaya

5. vaishsenthil

vaishsenthil New IL'ite

Thanks very much for all ur comments. Do try this recipe and am sure u'll enjoy it!!

Vaish