Scrum Master Certification- Inputs Needed

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Vedhavalli, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I thought to do scrum certification but confused where to do
    Scrum. Org has no expiration date whereas scrumalliance has 2 yrs expiration.
    1.Which scrum certification has major benefits in terms of job?
    2. And I'm looking into step up as management roles like
    Program Manager
    Product manager etc.
    Can anyone suggest which is best path to attain such roles?

Tagging @Gauri03

Moderator pls move the thread in Educational

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    SuiDhaaga likes this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I only have second hand information about the field so if possible try speaking to an actual Scrum Master. From what I know, the first step is getting the certification. According to an HR friend, scrumalliance is better recognized than scrum.org but only slightly. The certifications are equally valuable.

Scrum roles require a lot of communicating and facilitating. Basically you need to be a people person with great diplomatic skills. If you see yourself as a coach/mentor type personality then this is a great career track for you. You might be interested in this: The 28 Characteristics of a Great Scrum Master

As far as finding a Scrum role goes, I would think it will require the same approach as any other tech role. If you have a tech background it should be relatively easier for you to get a foot in the door. If you are working for a company that uses agile then see if you can move into a Scrum role internally. This is the easiest path plus you will find mentors to help train you and get you settled into the field.

While you prepare for the certification find a community of Agile professionals and become active in it. Check out The Agile Water Cooler – A "chill" agile community. They have a discord community and I have heard good things about them. Look for virtual/in-person Agile events on LinkedIn and meetup, and initiate conversations with Scrum Masters and Agile professionals. Basically network as much as possible. Not only are most people happy to share their wisdom, they will also give you insights into which companies to apply to and how to best market yourself. There is no substitute for putting yourself out there and interacting with actual humans in your field.

HTH!

Vedhavalli and Laks09 like this.
  3. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

I’d say scrum master certification has lost its shine. You can look for product owner certification courses that are in right now

Vedhavalli likes this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Thank you @Gauri03 your our goto person for tech doubts!!!
    I'm not so people person. I can manage when it comes in line of coding, bug fixes, releases.
    I may ask more questions hehe.

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

Was thinking same...being PO is easier while transforming. Thanks!