1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scribblings of a septuagenarian- Tribute to my father

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Tribute to my father
    I wouldn’t say that my father was a role model to me. It is not necessary that a father should be a role model to get the affection of his child.
    My siblings considered me as the pet of my father. I too loved my father with his shortcomings. He was very short tempered and when he got angry he used to throw things, but he never used to beat children.

When we were small he used to bring palm fruit (Nungu) in summer. He would peel out the skin and then pierce the center of the fruit and would pour the sweet water in our mouths. He would peel the skin of sweet limes and oranges, remove the seeds and then give us the pulp. He would break the fried groundnuts and give us the nuts.

In the beginning he was working in Taluq office, but somehow he had fallen prey to horse race and used to go wherever the races were conducted. Due to his absenteeism at office he lost his job. This I came to know through my mom. He had learnt his lesson through the hard way.

When I was seven years old he got a job at the Defence Accounts Office at Jabbalpur and the family could not accompany him. My mother had taken care of us as we were studying in school.

Every year he used to come on one month leave and during that period our grandfather and grandmother’s annual ceremony used to fall and he would perform them religiously. Before I was born he took care of his younger brother and his younger sister though married, would come home with her children after a fight with her husband and used to stay for months.

I was the one who used to write letters to him whenever my mother wanted to convey some news. Though I studied in Tamil medium I used to write letter in English and would request him to point out if there were any mistakes.

Nearly for eleven years he stayed alone and he used to cook his food. He tried to save as much money as he could to send to the family. I could say that he lived like a hermit.

After his retirement he returned home and stayed with us. After retirement also worked part time in the military canteen as manager. I got a job at Chennai Telephones and daily he used to accompany me to the station and we both used to walk along the railway line as the station was quite a distance by road. Once he was caught by the checking squad and was locked in a room at the station with ticketless travelers. He did not have any money with him to pay the fine, but fortunately a known person saw him and paid the fine. When I came to know this in the evening I felt very sad. He always used to accompany me when I returned from the office also.

When my marriage was settled he made sure that I should quit the job after marriage as I had fragile body and he felt I could not cope up with domestic and office work. He made it a point to clarify from my fiancé that he would be able to manage with his earnings.

He was diabetic but loved sweets very much. He was a man with clean habits. He gave importance to personal cleanliness as well as to his clothes and things and would see that everything was neat and tidy.

Alas! I was not able to be with him when he died. It was quite sudden and I was not even able to see his body for the last time as I was at quite a distance and even the telegram reached me after two days. I do feel proud of my father for turning a new leaf in his life and for leading a secluded life for the sake of his family.
    I do believe that you all will also agree with me. Won’t you?

2. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello dear mam,

That was indeed a lovely tribute to your father..who gave us all such a great woman of substance:)

Kudos to him for having turned a new leaf:bowdown

Regards,

Saras

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli ma, beautifully said.

A very memorable tribute to your father ma.

sriniketan

4. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear PS mam, That was a very touching narration...

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Saras,
    Thanks a lot for dropping in first and posting your fb.
    Love,
    PS

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    All fathers can't be role models to their children. A father is a father to a child and he deserves the love.
    Thanks for your being here and posting your fb,
    Love,
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Vidya,
    Thank you for your nice comments.
    Love,
    PS

8. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai ma,

A very great tribute to your father. Man with clean habits and kept his things clean. Thanks for sharing ma. We have to learn from them how to lead a life.

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sreemathi,
    Both of my parents were very particular about cleanliness and clean habits. Even at old age they never used to compromise on these habits.
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your comments,
    Love,
    PS

10. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

> I do feel proud of my father for turning a new leaf in his life and for leading a secluded life for the sake of his family.
    I do believe that you all will also agree with me. Won’t you?

Absolutely.