1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scribblings of a septuagenarian-The customs followed by our forefathers were based on

Discussion in 'Posts in Regional Languages' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 23, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

The customs followed by our forefathers were based on hygiene, health and family welfare​

As I have mentioned in my blog earlier, in the good old days woman started her day with cleaning the front part of the house. Water mixed with cow dung was sprinkled before drawing the kolam. This in a way acted as an anti bacterial agent. Another advantage was that the earth became hard by repeatedly performing this task and dust pollution also was controlled. Even now in villages women perform this task. Pure rice flour was used to feed the insects at the start of the day.

Drawing of the kolam also proved the talent and creativity of the ladies of the house. While they used to draw kolam they used to bend their body physically which prevented growing potbelly! As this was done regularly it helped to maintain their physical fitness.

Woman was kept isolated during period time to protect her from hard manual work. Those days women used to pound paddy, carry water from well and used grinding stone (enthiram as well as ural, ammi etc). They also wanted to avoid sex during periods. These were followed as a precaution for keeping their good health in mind.

Upavasam on Ekadsi which falls once in a fortnight was also observed for cleansing and giving rest to digestive organs. Even sex was avoided on specific days keeping in mind the well being of both men and women. Whether it is food or sex, anything in excess was not considered good for health.

Washing hands was strictly followed before serving food. While cooking, women used to wash hands after adding salt or other ingredients into the cooking dish. While serving elders any eatable first they had to offer water for washing the hands.

When the children grow up and start using glass for drinking water or any other beverages they were told not to sip, but to pour the drink into the mouth without touching the lips. This custom was taught because some times the same glass would be used by another person and so it would protect them from catching diseases through infection.

Elders never used to eat in plates. They used to eat food on disposable leaves joined together (Thaiyal elai) or banana leaves. Children were given separate plates and were not allowed to interchange them.

Joint family system helped children to share things and it also gave them a secure feeling. Women used to share household cores and men their earnings. There was a strong bond of love between the family members.

Though change is inevitable at least good habits should never be forsaken.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Ma,

Well said. In olden days the customs were followed only to keep our body fit and fine. Now a days also it should be followed. I used to advise my daughter why all the customs were followed in olden days .Everything has scientific reason and in olden days male or female were leading a financially,
    physically sound life. Now a days whatever we are earning whatever we are earting are not suffice to run a family and rather catching the new diesease only.
    I liked the way you have sentenced each and every custom
    amma. I just thought of my mom.

3. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this... You have explained everything so well...

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear sreemathi,
    Thanks for being here first and posting your comments. Yes, everything has a scientific reason and all the customs stood the test of time. Our forefathers oberved everything keenly and with their experience chalked out the customs to be followed. Thus they led a tension free, happy life.
    Thanks one again,
    Love,
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Vidchakra,
    Thank you for your sweet and short appreciating comments,
    Love,
    PS

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpa amma,

Our ancestors were very intelligent people who made hygine, nutrition, and good health a way of time by weaving these into our customs. You have beautifully explained the science behind many of our customs. This is something i am sure to share with my kids. Thank you amma.

Akila

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Akil,
    Pleased to see that you too have faith and belief in our ancestors' intelligence and the way they combined the important ingredients to lead a happy, healthy and peaceful life.
    Thanks a lot for your nice comments,
    Love,
    PS

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Nithya,
    Welcome to my blog and thanks for keying in your comments. Nowadays most of the people use sticker kolams. Perhaps working ladies do not have time to draw kolam.
    Love,
    PS

9. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Dear Mam, Nice blog. It is true that all our old customs had a scientific reason. Infact, I heard news but I am not sure how far it is true. When the poisonous gas leaked in Bhopal, the houses where cow dung was sprinkled were protected. Such is the power of cow dung. But nowadays cows are seldom seen. Thank u for sharing your thoughts.

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Maalti,
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your comments.