1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Scribblings of a septuagenarian- Evergreen memories of Jamshedpur

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 27, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Evergreen memories of Jamshedpur​

when I think about Jamshedpur, a wave of nostalgia sweeps over me even now, after settling in Chennai for the last seventeen years.

Fifty years ago in the year 1960 I started my journey as a new bride from Chennai towards Jamshedpur by Howrah mail with fear in my mind. My dear husband was employed in TELCO, now renamed TATA MOTORS.

No one in my family had ever travelled that far. New environment, new language, and quite a tiresome journey-all these sudden changes in my life, made me a timid person by nature, very scared. As days flowed by, I got adjusted to the new environment. Though I had passed Praveshika Examination at the Dakshin Bharath Hindi Prachar Sabha, the spoken language was quite different. Little by little I mastered that too. I also mastered lighting the coal chula that consumed time and a lot of processing for the beginners.

We thoroughly enjoyed our life at Jamshedpur. It was a well planned city with all facilities and the very best infrastructure. Blue metal topped roads illuminated with bright lights with flowering trees on both sides were a beauty to behold. There were parks for children to play in each locality.

The houses allotted for employees were well maintained, and painting and repair works were taken care of by the company. We had 24 hour water supply facility free of charge and electricity at subsidized rate.

There were shopping complexes at each locality. A free dispensary at every locality and a full fledged hospital with all modern facilities with highly qualified doctors was also run by the company at a beautiful place surrounded by scenic beauty. Once admitted to the hospital people would refuse to leave the hospital, feigning sickness as they used to get good meals and the best medical care. In short I could say the city was heaven on earth.

There were English medium schools run by private managements affiliated to ICSE board as well as Hindi medium school run by the company. XLRI, one of the best business management Institution, where students vie to get admission is the pride of Jamshedpur. Jubilee Park with its beautiful rose garden and lake is a replica of Brindavan Garden of Mysore served as a picnic spot also. Other than that Dimna lake and the rivers meet also attracted picnickers during winter season.

Jamshepur being a cosmopolitan city, we had the opportunity to mix with different kinds of people. We had exposure to various cultures. Children had the opportunity to learn different languages. People interacted with warmth and love. In short I could very well say that Jamshedpur was the city to propagate our national policy “Unity in diversity”.

Whatever we and our children are today, we owe it fully to Jamshedpur and the “TELCO” company in particular.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

It is nice to know that you cherish the memories of your life at Jamshedpur still....

You have shared your feelings as a newly wed so well and :thumbsup to you for having managed them.
    [​IMG]

Most important of all the reasons you mentioned for you to love the place ...i feel the affection of your husband towards you during those years.....would have made you enjoy each and everything over there. So all credits goes to your loving better half.

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sunitha,
    You made my day with your sweet comments along with the beautiful picture.

i feel the affection of your husband towards you during those years.....would have made you enjoy each and everything over there. So all credits goes to your loving better half.[/QUOTE]

What you have said is quite true. Not only then, even now my sweet hubby loves me dearly after 50 years of married life and is like a pillar and support all my activities. I am blessed :bowdownto have such a husband.
    Thanks once again,
    With love,
    PS

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hello madam,

you have enjoyed your married life to the core i believe. tks for sharing and i can imagine how you would have enjoyed the newly place.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

psmaam,

felt as if i was sitting with you and you were telling me the whole thing. a very visual narrationg. knowing a lot about you and sir, i enjoyed it.

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Srimathi,
    I have enjoyed not only my married life, but also life at Jamshedpur was the best. The environment, social activities and cultural activities never made us feel homesick.
    Thank you for enjoying my write up,
    Love,
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shanthi,
    It was my pleasure to share with our friends in IL about our experience in life and the joys and sorrows. I am glad to know that you have come to know a lot abut us through my scribblings.
    Thanks a lot for your good words,
    Love,
    PS