1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Science on Madisar saree

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Vimmala, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello
    Just saw this thread and so wanted to add my 2cents;
    First I was not aware of this info.. so thanks for sharing.
    I first wore one on my wedding day.. dont even remember as there were so many ladies to help me.. and ofcourse I was sitting next to my husband and holding hands and so in heaven.. will try not to digressBig Laugh
    So the next time I wore one was when my mother in law passed away. Through out the 11 days I think, I wore the nine yards saree. Then with no one to help I learnt it by myself and then proud to say mastered it. To tell the truth I continued to wear because it was so EASY to wear. if worn correctly its so easy and so convenient even when going to the bathroom.. maybe you already know this but its really really convenient.. and easy and confortable. I prefer this than the 6 yard actually.. well just wanted to share what little I know.. nice thread ladies!

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Vimmala and Laknar for the information about the madisar.

I have learnt to wear it well and even do it quickly! Now it seems

easy to wear it for Varalakshmi vratham.

3. radhakarthik

radhakarthik Senior IL'ite

hi,
    just wanted to share this picture of mine with my mom during sumangali prathanai(to give an idea to people about what madisar saree means)

radha

Attached Files:

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing Radha.. you both look so nice.. :) And Madisar..very cool!

5. radhakarthik

radhakarthik Senior IL'ite

thanks anand chitra, thats very sweet of u.

radha

6. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi vimala,

thanx for sharing the info. that was very informative. am very curious to know that how u came to know about this ( i mean thru your elders or from books....???). i haven't herad about this from any of my elders. they informed me y we have to start waring it on the wedding ocassion. i would like to know if there is any site to learn how to tie madisar.there is one for the iyengar style madisar.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  7. jayaguru

jayaguru New IL'ite

well, any style of 9 yards draping is amazing and it unique to our culture and I bet every state in India has their own style which would have evolved with the geographic and climatic conditions in that particular place. As of the contemprories who are not so much for this 9 yards saree thing, lets just view it as another tradition of India similar to what Japanese wear or any other country's traditional dresses.

8. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi

That's a nice thread and an unknown information shared. Quite interesting. Knowing our rich culture background....we should have expected some science behind it as we have science behind our food platter and the order we eat etc. Guess never stuck anyone's mind.

Hmmm...now I have to wait for an opportunity to try this science out :)

Cheers
    Jenz

9. keshavkutts

keshavkutts Senior IL'ite

Nice information.........I loved wearing it on my wedding day......I am from a iyer family married to iyengar....so i have tried both ways of madisar....iyer type is tricky to wear but looks great, iyengar type is a easier version and also looking good.

10. shree

shree Silver IL'ite