Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 6

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Significance of “Thoppukaranam”.

It is traditional in our culture to invoke the blessings of Lord Vigneshwara, to remove obstacles, whenever we begin a new task (endeavour?). We do this by doing, thoppukaranam (as is known in tamil), several times in front of the deity.

Thoppukaranam is performed by holding the left ear with right hand fingers and the right, by left hand fingers and simultaneously (rather alternately) sitting and standing in quick succession. This is repeated several times. We do this with the belief that this will do us a lot of good. We have never bothered to understand the scientific truth behind this. Perhaps our elders thought that these practices can be enforced only under the guise of religious conventions.

This action activates the acupuncture points at right and left ears, thereby activating the right and left side of our brains. Our brain power gets stimulated and our memory power improves very much.
    It is now christened “superbrain Yoga” by the West!
    Please go to
    YouTube - SuperBrain Yoga
    It is sad that our tradition is copy righted by the Western countries and our simple ‘thoppukaranam’ is now famous in the name of super brain yoga!

sindmani and Angellic like this.

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Nice article, aunty. I am honoured to be the first person to post the feedback. Thanks for enlightening us. All this long, I was thinking that since our elders wanted us to exercise, they have advocated the Thoppukaranam.:hide:

The concept of Superbrain yoga is totally new to us.

Waiting to read more such informative articles.

Raji

3. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Chitra. I will show this post to my son who is an acupuncturist.

4. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

Another nice post by chitra mam....

Now, I know the reason behind this practise. The concept of superbrain yoga is totally new to me.

Thanks for giving insightful information ....:bowdown:bowdown

5. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Dear mami,

Thoppukaranam is actually Dhorbi karanam (in sanskrit) meaning, catching the ears with hands crossed, squatting and standing up, which has now become thoppukaranam in tamil.
    Mami, the story of the origin of thoppukaranam has been discussed in the link given here.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/1363904-post5.html

Pl go thru that :)

6. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

thank you for the post chithuma
    i guess most of the traiditons we have ,have some scientific reasonsing behind them and i am so happy to learn most of reasons here ..
    thank you so much again for the great job you have been doing in this forum :bowdown

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Amma,
    You have explained beautifully why we do thappukaranam.......I used to follow blindly thinking as one reader told its to get us lazybones some excercise in the name of God now I know the reason........

Thank You
    VJ

8. Chitvish

Thanks, Raji, for a quick Fb!!
    Exercise is also combined in that, no doubt.But all other exercises do not point to acupressure as well. This one does!!
    Love,
    C

9. Chitvish

Dear CL, I am now interested in knowing whether your son accepts this theory or not!
    Love,
    C

10. Chitvish

Der Radhics,
    The super brain yoga concept in you tube came to me as a forward. Since the name interested me, I watched it. I was surprised that it is nothing but our thoppukaranam!!
    Do we call it plagiarism?? :biggrin2:
    Love,
    C