Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 5

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra mam

Nice explanation.................

I used to thought that since chappals are made from animal hides (specially in olden days), these are not allowed inside temple premises. Also, leather items are not alowed in many temples, foremost among them is the famous Jagannath temple at Puri. Items made from leather are not allowed iside like belt,purse,umbrella etc. Does the reason behind this traditon is same as given by you or something else?

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs. Chitvish
    I noticed that you did not respond to my feedback. Perhaps I offended you in some way. I apologize.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ayyo Kamala,
    I just did'nt make a note of this post. I seem to have gone on to the next post.Extremely sorry!!
    This occasionally happens in my cookery forum also!:bonk
    Please accept my apologies.
    Yes, the reasons you give make good sense.
    Now a days, the grooms have started wearing jibba etc!
    Besides the 'warming up', we get the benefit of ozone in the early morning, by drawing kolams!! But,who can do all these in present-day flat living?/
    sorry again for my inadvertent 'overlooking'.:bowdown
    Hope you will understand & attribute it to my 'old age'!
    Love,
    C

4. Chitvish

Dear Radhica,
    Using chappals from animal hides may probably be a recent development - I am not sure.
    I think, the barefoot touching the ground must have been a more valid reason. Besides those days, temple floors were in natural granite (karungal) & we had the benefit of acupressure as well!
    Wat you writealso sounds very relevant, thanks.
    Love,
    C

5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

We will view the posts, aunty!

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you madam for yet another wonderful explanation

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hello Chitra, beautiful explanations. Now it is easy for me to explain to my friends and family about our customs with some explanation.

Thanks a lot. I hope you continue to do that.

8. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Amma - please continue with this thread. after reading this i came to understand the logic behind our actions. when i was with my grand mother while serving food she would ask us to wash/dip our hand first and then serve curds/buttermilk. she would say this [cooked items] are pattu and uncooked items are not. is there any scientific reasoning behind this. also to clothes these are madi and other are vizhupu - another reason requesting.let me think and i will come back to ask more. keep posting maa. thanks for being patient

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mrs. Chitra
    Thank you very much. Please do not apologize. I was more concerned that I had inadvertantly mentioned something to hurt you.
    I am slowly exploring different threads because there are so many interesting things to learn everyday and time is not enough.
    I am amazed to see so many previous articles by you. I am going to read them all one by one.
    Please continue posting; you may not see the correct number of views beacuse one can read the posts without logging in. So you may be having more views than you see recorded. Please don't let that number discourage you.
    Thank you very very much.
    I'll keep in touch mroe regularly.

10. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    More truths & explanations are 'latent' in our culture. Unless we explore we will not know them at all!
    Tanks & love,
    C