Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 4

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Why do we apply vibhuthi/bhasmam??

Before proceeding here, it is relevant to read my post:
    Why do Hindus wear religious marks?

That gives the religious reason.
    Let us discuss the other scientific reason.
    Vibhuti absorbs the unhealthy fluids retained by our body and decreases body temperature.
    We observe that elders apply vibhuti on people running high temperature. It is important to apply it on the back neck because fluid retention is more there, in our body. It is mentioned as “ neer korthukkolluvathu or “neer iranguvathu “
    Ears are also quoted as a suitable place to apply vibhuti, sounding strange, though! All the 72,000 nerves in the human body meet there and fluid as well fat cells getting accumulated in any nerve is injurious to health. This causes a condition called ‘vaadam’ in ayurveda.
    Vibhuti also removes numerous invisible germs present on the skin. If there is an insect bite, many rub vibhuti on the affected part, after making sure the quality is good and there is no adulteration. This is very important.

The significance of Surya namaskaram in the morning.

Surya namaskaram is a practice followed in our country from time immemorial. This helps to tone up the body and mind. If done under proper guidance, it tones up our body and intellect. In western countries this has become popular as well, under the names gymnastics, sunbath etc.

This gives mobililty to all the joints in our body. We absorb Vitamin D from the morning sun. Science also accepts that rays of sun in the morning can regulate the calcium production in our system. The parts of the body becoming strong and healthy, prevent the tubercular infection from setting in.
    By doing this very regularly, early ageing can be arrested and a paunch is avoided. Our joints become very flexible, thereby increasing our agility.

sindmani, Angellic and lavii like this.

2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Happy to be here first.

Thanks a lot aunty for sharing reasons behind vibhuthi application and also surya namaskar.
    I think this series of posts from you would help us answer the many `whys' of next gen kids.

3. Chitvish

Thanks for reading this, Mallika.
    For all the effort I take & time I spend, I hope there are more views to these threads. The previous one had 'pathetic' response! :-(
    love,
    C.

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra Amma,
    I knew only about your shloka n recipe today spotted this post n I read all the four parts today.......You have done a great job n I think your explainations has made me make-up my mind to follow it religiously I :bowdown to you for this services.

5. Chitvish

Thanks, vjbunny.
    it is important that we know the sceientific backing for all our customs & traditions.
    Hope you will stay tuned! :)
    love,
    c.

6. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    Religiously following your all threads.Very useful information.ennoda pasanga kekura ella questions kkum correct answer vanda dan follow panranga.So if i have any doubts I will always check in your thread in first hand.
    So,please please continue your thread.
    Hope your amma doing good.
    Take care.

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Chithra madam

I have not read or heard about the importance of vibhuti till date...thanks for sharing...that too at the right time and season..we usually pray to Lord Shiva during this month of Kaartheekam and we use vibhooti during the pooja.

Thanks again for sharing such valuable information.

8. Chitvish

Dear Madurai Mangai,
    Thanks!!
    It is necessary to follow with understanding than following blindly!!
    I do want to continue definitely; but lack of response does make me feel disillusioned at times!! :-(
    Love,
    C.

9. Chitvish

!Dear SV,
    Thanks.
    Another philosophical explanation is this. Every time we apply it, it reminds us (rather we should remember) that , bhasmam is what we are going to be reduced to, when we die!! One handful of bhasmam will remain of our 'gloriously maintained' physical body!
    Love,
    C.

10. Hemakrishna

Hemakrishna New IL'ite

Dear Chitramma,
    Very informative and useful explanation about Vibhuthi.My daughters have cold almost all 365 days.My grandmother always insists about applying vibhuthi paste at night duing cold. Now you have also mentioned about it. So I will do it from tonight onwards :)
    My daughter has blocked ears due to wax collection and cold :( How to apply vibhuthi on ears?! Is it around the ears? Thank you in advance.
    Love,
    Hema.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010