Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 2

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

A simple reason, to have an oil-bath.

An oil bath, leave alone applying oil on our heads, is scoffed at, by the younger generation!
    Our ancestors believed in body cleanliness foremost because our physical body is the abode of our soul (atma).
    The oil bath does soothe our body and is no doubt pleasurable to the physical system. But the reasons, are these.
    The medicated oils spread their goodness all over our body and when we massage the oil all over, blood circulation gets accelerated. A minor ailment likely to come up in any part of the body is arrested in the initial stage itself. More importantly, the oil blocks the invisible germs present on our skin after our activities, from entering inside, through the pores of the skin.

Why is it advised to face east when bathing in a river and avoid west?

The planets and the stars are supposed to be moving around the universe from east to west. The earth receives the positive magnetic energy from them. If we face west after dipping in the water in a river, that energy deposits on our back. By facing east after bathing, we, as though, invite that good energy to spread on the front side of the body, specially heart.

Why is it advised to wipe dry our back first after a bath?

This rule holds good only for those who have a bath in river or pond and not for us who finish our bath with just a bucket of water!! But the explanation is interesting.

The Goddess of prosperity is called Sridevi and the Goddess of poverty and misery, Moodevi. The former is positive energy and the latter negative energy. They are always present in our body, but in varying proportions. When we pour water on our head and body both they leave our body and are just waiting to enter back. The latter rushes and enters the body through the part which is dry, first. Since we want positive energy abundantly, we first dry our back so that the negative energy settles there. Now, the positive energy, though second in ‘the race’, enters us from the front, blessing us as well, for the whole day.
    According to science, our back gets more affected by a chill. So, this can affect our spine in the long run and we will fall sick. Rheumatism is likely to set in. By drying the back first, we avoid this!

1 person likes this.

2. Hemakrishna

Hemakrishna New IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    Very interesting post. Nowadays people have started taking oil baths, thanks to the beauty parlours, spas and ofcourse gingelly oil ads ;) Knowing the reason behind it and following is something different. We can do it wholeheartedly and not for anybody's compulsion. Isn't it? In that way, you are doing a wonderful job.

Gingelly oil heated with some rice, 1 or 2 pepper, 1 red chilli and a pinch of turmeric is our practice (It looks like a recipe, I know :) ). What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
    Love, Hema.

3. Chitvish

Dear Hema,
    You did it again, thanks!! I plan to post every thursday morning. :)
    I usually warm the oil & use, but red chilli addition is new to me. We add pepper & rice & that too, only for deepavali day bath!!
    My MIL was an ardent believer in twice-a-week oil bath & I got into that habit!!
    Love,
    C.

4. Hemakrishna

Hemakrishna New IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    I guess you have a long and lovely hair :) . My grandmothers also insisted me about 'sevvai and velli' oil bath. I have two daughters and we have started the practice with one oil bath per week. Is there any connection between oil bath and cold? Can we take oil bath while having cold. My kids have frequent cold. Thanks again.
    Love,
    Hema.

5. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitra

Thanks for the post. In my home too, we believe in taking oil bath , but follow only on Friday as other days we are busy with work and no time here in Dubai.

My mom used to boil coconut oil with rice and jeeragam and cool it and store in a thookku. We love to eat those crispy rice whenever we apply oil for bath. Its mainly to remove any water content in the oil, as the rice absorbs the water, she used to say. She does not put any other ingredient. We never used any shampoo also during our younger days. My mom gets the whole shikakai dried and will grind in the mill with dried skins of lemon, green moong, dried skin of pommegranate etc, which powder we will mix with the starch removed from rice while cooking and wash our hair after oiling. The kanji with shikakai powder acted as shampoo. For body, we apply besan with haldi powder and wash after oiling with gingelly oil.

Now I use either Dabur Olive oil or Nyle with all herbs, warm up and apply and remove with a shampoo only. No shikakai.

In my in-laws' house, everyone stopped taking oil bath since long.

Best Regards
    Shanti

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitramma

Thaks for the informative bits.

Somehow...I dont do it religiously even once a week. I will follow you and try to make it twice a week. Are there any particular days? Is it tuesday and friday?

Looking for more from your treasure trove!

7. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear Chithra,

Beautiful explanations. Eventhough we are doing all these for many years, I was not aware of the logic behind those. thanks for sharing.

ganges

8. Chitvish

No comments! :biggrin2:
    Since our body gets exposed to water for a longer time, I think, it is better to avoid oil bath when children have cold. For girls, the hair does take time to dry & it is best to take precautions.
    In general, after an oil bath, it is advisable to dry the hair completely before tying it since wet hair causes sinusitis.Love,
    C.

9. Chitvish

Thanks for coming here, Shanti.
    I mean medicated oil by what you have written!!
    Yes, shikakai or payaru mavu is best because it leaves the hair soft.
    In present day life, once a week is good enough. An oil bath taken in a hurry is not worth it because we will not dry the hair properly. Not only will we get cold & head-ache, the hair will give a foul smell, mixed with sweat!!
    Living in Chennai, I still continue only gingelly oil!:)
    Love,
    C.

10. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

Quite informative and interesting too