Schools in/near Tambaram

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by ajaya, Apr 21, 2007.

1. ajaya

ajaya New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum and i feel lucky that i found it. We are moving to Chennai in May and are brand new to the city. I have 2 kids 4 and 9. I am looking for schools in Tambaram or in a commutable distance from there.
    I dont want schools who put too much pressure on kids. I would like to have quality and focussed education. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
    Ajaya

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Ajaya,
    Welcome to the forum, and also welcome to Tambaram. We are living in Camp Road East Tambaram. You have lots of schools in and around Tambaram. But most schools have closed their admission. What kind of sylabus you are looking for? CBSE or Matriculation? Where exactly you are planning to be in Tambaram. If you could give me those details I could be of even more help to you.

As of now CBSE Schools:

1. Kendriya Vidhyalaya(where they have just 2 seats for open quota high competition)

2. Vivekananda Vidhyalaya

3. Boaz

Matriculation Schools:
    1. Shankara Vidhyalaya

2. SitaDevi Garodia

3. Zion Matriculation

4. Alpha Matriculation

5. Prince Shri Venkateshwara

3. ajaya

ajaya New IL'ite

Hi Rajmi,
    Thanks for the info. Our work location is in MEPZ and we are planning to reside based on the school we choose so that it is easier for the kids. I am a bit apprehensive about admitting them in CBSE board as the transition may be harder. So i was looking into Matric or ICSE (If available) around the Tambaram area.

1) Billabong may have confirmed seats. But Neelankarai appears too far to
    commute to Tambaram. That aside does anyone know the fee structure of
    Billabong ?
    2) I did look at PSBB millenium and the commute may be ok from St Thomas
    Mount to Tambaram. But it is CBSE. Does anyone have input on this school ?
    Do they have too much stress on the kids or is it learn/activities balance ?
    3) Among the Matric schools in Tambaram, which one do you think is the
    best ?

Thanks for everyone trying to help me :wave .

Regards,
    Ajaya

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Both Zion and Sankara are equally good. But I am bit apprehensive about Matric syllabus so we have put our daughter in CBSE. She is going to first standard this year. As for ICSE schools you have 2 schools one is the Campus School inside the MCC Campus and the other is Good Earth which is a bit far off though you have their school bus. That school is too good. But as far as my knowledge admissions are closed. But they might consider you as a special case. Good Earth school has a website also. Go to their site and take up their address and phone number. If you are unable to find it out let me know. I'll get it for you and send you a pm

5. minnu2006

minnu2006 New IL'ite

Schools in or near Tambaram

Hi,

I need details on good CBSE schools in and near East Tambaram. Any school at commutable distance from East Tambaram is also ok. Are PSBB, Chettinad Vidyashram too far away? Schools that are mentioned as excellent all seem to be far away from Tambaram :-(
    Please help at the earliest.

6. pallavi_dev

pallavi_dev New IL'ite

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Re: Schools in or near Tambaram

Hi,
    There is a school called" GOOD EARTH".Its located in East Tambaram for classes 1to 5 i think(not sure), but from classes 6 to 12 is located at naduveerapattu(sure), commutable distance from tambaram.

My nephew is studying there.Its a great school which follows CBSE pattern. No uniforms, just any simple cotton wear would do.

Will collect more details abt the address n post soon.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Aishu,

Sorry to contradict with you. But the truth is Good Earth school is not located in East Tambaram. It is located near Kishkintha. Except the Kindergarten all are near Kishkintha. Not commutable from Tambaram easily. Moreover that area is West Tambaram.

It is not of CBSE pattern but it is of ICSE pattern. Of course no uniforms.

But yes there are some good CBSE schools in East Tambaram. There are two branches of Kendriya Vidhyalaya also.

You have BOAZ school on the Velachery Tambaram Mainroad in Sembakkam. Quite commutable from East Tambaram.

Another school is Sreevatsa Vivekananda Vidhyalaya located in Chitlapakkam. Though the address is Chitlapakkam it is quite easily walkable even from Camp Road junction. The walking time takes close to 15 mins. As my daughter is studying there I can give you a few more details too. The school is one of the branches of the Vivekananda Educational Trust. A lots of branches all over Chennai. Lots of extra curricular activities are encouraged. There is no exams till 2nd standard. And every month the parents have to meet all the teachers of their kid's class and discuss about their child's progress. If you want even more details please PM me. I feel I can guide you

1 person likes this.
  9. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Hey Rajmi,
    Its totally ok to contradict me. After all, we need to give correct info and guide the other Ilite properly. As im new to the area,i may not have in depth knowledge abt the area. Since my nephew is studying there i gave a very little info i had.

10. bagy

bagy New IL'ite

I would like to have more details about the school as i am going to be coming back sometime in apr 08 and settling down near camp road. I have two kids, one going to 8th grade and the other 1st. do they offer french? also, how are the general facilities in the school? i am not expecting anything but a good school with decent facilities.

thank you

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007