1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

School Registration Query, moving to Cincinatti

Discussion in 'Indians in Cincinnati' started by aparnaram80, Oct 10, 2012.

1. aparnaram80

aparnaram80 New IL'ite

Hi All,

We will be moving from Hyderabad to Cincinnati in the mid of November. I have got 2 sons, a 6yr old and a 3yr old.

My elder one, Hari is in 1st standard , in a very good CBSE school here.In the Sycamore school district,where we are moving the cut-off date for First Grade is September 30th. Hari is born on Sept 20th,so he will getting thru by just 10 days.

I am really confused abt , shd we ask them to put him in KG or First Grade. He is a premie baby by 2.5mths, but he is academically very gud, but very very sensitive.

Since we are moving in the mid of the academic year, and it is a new country for him, shd we put him in KG for this year, and next august in first grade.
    I really don't want him to be pressurised , want him to enjoy the school as he is doing now.

And will the school person listen to us,if we want him to put him in kindergarten. We have tried calling them from India but it seems we need appointments.

If anybody have any experience with the process for admission to moving from India students, I really need your inputs.

Thanks in advance
    Aparna

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Re: School Registration Query

Hey Aparna,

from your other posts I gather you have settled down with apartments. There are many Indians in the area and sycamore schools are the best. That said, I remember reading that you could not get through with the school to speak. That is ok. As for your child just making the cut off date, the school might give you an option of either choosing KG or 1st. Best to have an idea and then making a decision. Most children cope quite well and he is still at a very young age - from what I understand the areas he might face problems may include the accent and the methodology of teaching and socializing aspects. I would suggest give it a try - see how he does this year (even if it looks like his grades may not be real good), try to understand if he is happy, if he is learning and if the teacher is able to communicate and interact with him. You can also seek a trial period of 6 weeks in 1st grade and seek a meeting with the teacher to understand and then decide moving back if you both agree so. Teachers at this grade level are usually very good and want to work with parents and children - you should try and make use of that by communicating.

3. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

I would vote for kindergarten as they learn some phonics skills that are building blocks for 1st grade, if he does not know the phonic method, he will be at sea! Also they teach skills for wearing winter clothes( outer wear, jacket, gloves), keeping bag in cubby and other organizational things.......just easier to have the kids learn at school the system. School will give option of kg/1st if you SK, but when you arrive ask the kg teacher to evaluate, if she feels he knows things well enough then she will recommend where the child should be placed. Do not worry too much, the schools are quite helpful and will suggest the best option for you.

4. aparnaram80

aparnaram80 New IL'ite

Thanks Srama and Topaz for the reply.

Yeah Srama, as you rightly said the problem areas which I have anticipated are the socializing aspect,accent and methodology. The Sycamore School district Rep: have replied to our mail saying that he will be put in First grade according to his DOB, but will be deciding once we get there. As you said I am also hoping that the lower grade teachers will be very very approachable.

Topaz, he knows the phonic sounds and language, but the way of teaching phonics here will be definitely different, and I am also hoping that the school teachers can interact with him and give us a good advice on which grade he has to be placed. I am open for both KG and first grade, just want him to be happy and enjoy his school.

Thanks guys,
    We will be moving to Olde Montgomrey apartments, after reaching on Nov 14th,day after diwali.

5. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

Good luck and best wishes on the move, remember not to get stressed over anything......moving is tough and it will take a few months to a year to adjust to a new place!

6. aparnaram80

aparnaram80 New IL'ite

Hi all!

We have finally reached Cincinnati, and I can say half settled.

We have called the school registration office, and becoz of the thanksgiving holidays, we will be able to register our son, only this coming week. They were talking abt Kindergarten , have to see.

Thanks all for the help.

Cheers
    Aparna