1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

School Hunting

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kausha,

Thank you.Let us make a break up

You are planning to R2I in 2010.your elder will be 6+ (into 1st std/2nd) and second one will be ready for pre-kg..or playschool.
    PIO are expected to pay a different fee structure as far as my knowledge goes in international schools in india.

Today India, caters to all systems of education. CBSE is the most opted as it is almost uniform throughout india. matriculation and stateboard differ according to the state.
    you also have IB curriculam followed in few schools. Fees depends on the school. Applying from overseas,is possible, but the child is supposed to present for entrance exams, and admission.

This is the governing factor for all the other things. once you know precisely, the destination for R2I other things will slowly fall into place. And as you have not mentioned your likely place, I take the liberty to assume chennai.

I would also suggest, before R2I in 2010, come for a visit, have the feel of the place and decide.

You have just started rolling the ball in your mind....let it roll...The decision is the tuffest part...execution becomes easier...

You are most welcome to discuss and put in your question and we will all try to help you in the best possible way.

ALL the best for your plans...

2. kausha

kausha New IL'ite

hi,

thankx a lot for the quick response. Yes, u r correct our planned destination is Chennai. I have visited chennai and trichy many times but that was about 15years back. My children are being registered and applied for citizenship in Sri Lanka although born here in Italy, so hope that they too will be eligible to get the OCI.What do you say?

Re: Accomodation , I will have to seek my friends who are there in Chennai, Anna Nagar. But at the moment my friends are in SL for personal prbms! Lets say Anna Nagar, Besant Nagar, T.Nagar etc....how is Kodambakkam???

Re : School, When is the academic year starting? January? Applying from here is possible, I guess online? Anyway, lets say if the admission starts in January2010, we better be in India about 3months ahead? assuming accomodation is done.

Re:fee, around how much is the monthly fee? I read about Billabong International but didnt find enough info about the sam on the web. What's ur idea about seats in International? Is it easy to get? What I'm coming to say is.....If I could get a seat, I could send my elder for 1 year and at the same time find him another school (so that he doesn't miss his education)

Lastly I thank you soooooooo much for all the ideas and advise u give me. You are so matured and full of experience, how old are you? IF U DONT MIND :-D i AM 29...and I dont have anyone near me to advise so I turned on to you all. Thanks again!

Love you all,
    Kausha

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi kausha

It is only ideas and suggestions.no advises from me. I am 36. Not so matured but life has been a good teacher.:bowdown

Since you mentioned srilanka, the favorable destination could only be chennai. but 15 years it is too long a period. we can't correlate with chennai 4 years back to chennai now, there is tremendous development.

Sorry on this account.I am not so sure about the OCI eligibility.If I get to know more will definitely bring the details to this site.

Not all schools have a online application. you have to ask your friends in chennai to pick the application.applications are issued from december through january for 1st standard. you can get your child acclimitised to chennai by then. you need to get the ukg passing certificate and school leaving proof from italy.Academic year is june to march/april.

There is an American International School, in south chennai near thoraipakkam..and the fees is exorbitant to a chennaite..that is 6 lacs/annum and to be paid in dollar..yes it is not so difficult to get a seat.
    but since he will be 6, it will be easier for him to learn the second language, english and other things in a normal school..you are giiving him one year in a international school will it not condition him to that school environ and making it difficult to do in others..

Vaels billabong is a much sort after school in chennai for r2i kids and it is in south chennai on ECR.. annual fees charged is like rs60000 for Nursery and rs80000 for 1st grade.it is a icse school.

Then there is Vellammal international which has children of all nationalities. it is on the calcutta highway nearer to ambattur redhills area..kids of parents who work in the sriperumbudur automobile, nokia and other industries.it is a residential school charging about 3lacs/annum and the feedback is good.

You can go through the info..and assimilate and then come back to ask more...you can check out he schools in chennai thread where we have discussed almost all schools in chennai.http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schools/3525-schools-in-chennai-16.html

4. Nimi

Nimi New IL'ite

Hi,

It was great going through the thread. We've been toying with the idea of moving back to India while we were in South Africa for the last 17 yrs! But it never happened! And now we are in the US. Our roots are still in India, and the longing is always there, but when I think of my 12 yr. old son, doing his Gr. 7 here in US, it scares the daylight out of me! How will he manage the ever growing syllabus in India? I would luv to send him to a Boarding school so that he gets the feel of schooling system there, and the feeling of being in his homeland (he was born in SA), but when i think whether he'll be able to manage the academics, it scares me! Will he get frustrated, and will it be a problem for him to settle down to academia there?? Is there anyone out there who has done so, and can I have some first hand info. on this, please? He is not a genius, but above avg. This has been a worry for me all along! When we wanted to leave him with my inlaws when he was 3-4, all advised against it, saying he is the only one, and we truly agreed and now this confusion eats me? What if we have to move to INDIA??

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi nimi,

Today's children are flexible and learn fast. so what if you have to move at grade 7. give him a year to learn and move through indian schooling...don't expect 100%. let him get through...then by 9th he will know his way around.that is my opinion...

There are few ilites who are coming back from US with kids in 7th, 8th,grades....

6. InfoSeeker

InfoSeeker New IL'ite

Hi,
    We are presently in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> and in a dilemma whether to move back to Chennai (<st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India)</st1:place></st1:country-region> or stay here. I have a son who is 2 years 8 months old. He will be starting his nursery school next September (2009) over here.

Education for my son is the only factor driving me think whether to stay here or return back to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place>. I have done my schooling in <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region>, where in I consider <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> has the best Primary education system as compared to other countries, except for the Practical Exposure to Academic subjects. I see that most of our Indians prefer to do their higher studies abroad as compared to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

It will be gr8 if I get to hear about thoughts, experiences from parents with children who did their initial schooling here in <st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region> and returned back to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place> for good.
    I would love to know more about the change in curriculum as compared to <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

Hope to hear loads from u all.

Keep the thread going

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
    Sow

7. koramangal

koramangal Senior IL'ite

Hey all,
    I thank for starting a new thread which is all about the schools and transition. I am also sailing in the same boat like you all. My son is actually in his 8th grade in US. We are for sure to move back to India after this academic year to B'lore or Hyderabad.
    My problem is wheather my son be able to copeup with syllabus or not and also am worried about second language ,however he would be into his 9th grade next yr. Does he have to go tru any admission test .He says he cannot study in India as he feels it is tough and mostly theoritical and promotion depends on the overall marks. :confused2:
    Iam sure some of you can help me with a piece of suggestion.Here I see that you have been discusing about Chennai schools.

Thanks

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

koramangal.

All the best for your return to india. Your son will be going to ninth grade 2009-10.

In both hyderabad/bangalore there are international schools that can accomodate your child. the problem starts only if you are going to compare the standards between the indian system and the international system.

If you are interested in the indian system, and your son is real studious, hardworking then cbse has the option of almost around 20 languages as second language which includes spanish, german,japanese,french and if your son is good in spanish and you can provide the tutions based on his syllabbus he can easily do it.

though some of the posts have talked more about chennai schools, the procedures and info are the same for schools all over isn't it.

hope this gives an idea.

9. AnuradhaG

AnuradhaG New IL'ite

Greetings...
    I am new to this group. I have a five yr old and 10 yr old. Boys. I am not entirely satisfied with the schools here in Los angeles and have been considering a major change. Perhaps schools in chennai. Perhaps you have some opinions on KFI school in Adayar? I hope to provide a well rounded education for the kids. Want to avoid exclusivity at schools, elitism and rabid competition.
    Pls help..
    anu

10. viji2010

viji2010 New IL'ite

Hi ladies

I am viji. i joined this wonderful site a couple of days ago. Thanks Shanthi for moderating such a wonderful thread. I have 2 daughters(8yrs and 15mths). we palnning to r2India in 2011.so i have started to look for schools for my elder one. she will join 5 grade in 2011. This site had wealth of information about the schools in chennai. i am looking for international schools so that the transition will not be hard on her. hope to get some suggestions from your valuable experiences.

thanks
    viji