1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

School Hunting

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Aabhi,

The way madurai is developing, you will have more schools,cbse also.

Matriculation and State board, have guidelines from tamilnadu government. Right now there is a no such restriction on the second language...but it could be posed..like in karnataka..where kannada is must.

Believe me, your son will not find it difficult to move into matric from cbse, since the cbse syllabbus is one up than matric.

any other doubts..u are free to voice..if i can i will definitely help you....:cheers

2. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for the useful info :bowdown shanthi.

Sorry for coming back on this again and again. But, my husband is a bit hesitant in moving him to CBSE. The season is, my son enjoys his current school very much. He loves the teachers, books, classroom, playground and everything. And hence my husband says moving him to CBSE may (or may not) make him loose interest in studies (if he doesn't like the school).

Moreover, as you said he says transfer from GCSE to Matric when we go back shouldn't be a problem. Ofcourse, he has hindi as his 2nd language even in his current school. So lang wont be a problem.

Basically, he feels why does he have to go through this change (I mean from GCSE to CBSE here) if he can easily get adjusted to Matric (GCSE to CBSE) when we go back.

Please advice.

Sorry for asking the same kind of question again & again. But thank you shanthi for your help. It really helps.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi abhi,

If your son likes the current school leave him in it as long as it is fine with all of you.(I know how difficult the child could feel..my daughter is in 7th and she has seen 6schools...)

The transition into matric will not be too tuff. this is again my opinion based on today's syllabus.

Even if there is a change, you can definitely help your kids to pick up. kids are flexible..it is we parents who get wound and wired with stress and tensions...

you are welcome to ask the same question...I know it is a difficult decision as a parent..but believe me, the moment you become cleared nothing disturbs the decision...

all the best again

4. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Oh dear. Thank you again for your patiently advice :clap

You are right, it's only we parents get into stress & tensions. Kids are flexible. I agree with you. Since he enjoys his current school very much, we are thinking to continue till we get back. And I am sure we are going to help him during the transition. Let's see.

Thank you dear, your contribution is great :bowdown

5. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Hi shanvy

Just saw this thread, ur thoughts and insights will defenitly help many parents who are confused about the various aspects of schooling. Good work. And great help to all of us who are stationed outside india and in need of various inputs regarding admissions, syllabus queries et all. Thanks for all the info provided in this thread.

Cheers
    Jay

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Abhi,

It was my pleasure to help you. all the best for your son..

you are welcome..

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jay,

I was also in the same boat for sometime..so I am just helping others... you are welcome...

8. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Hi Shanti and Sashi

Thanks to both of you for yoru val comments. Great work shanti for outlining all the details so elaborately. Personally, I always keep telling my husband that Indian education system is much better academically than many other curriculums. I have had the oppurtinity to be exposed to teh Singapore Education and now the Australian Education. Though I have not personally gone through any of the books or syllabus, I have seen my friends kids undergo their education.
    My son has been so interested in numbers right from when he was 3 and he has now self taught himself to write numbers past 100. Though for a similar aged child (5years) in chennai / india, its no big deal, here I have to restrict myself mot to teach him anything more at home, beacuse of the fact that he might be bored in school., which is because they are not expected to know any of these,until they srat school at 5. But still you cant stop a child from learning when he asks for it isnt it? So I have exposed him to these in a fun way as I could. Now he does, double digit addition, subtraction etc. He has started writing sentences, even though phonics has never been his favourite.
    Many times we feel we are under utilising his potentials. And seeing him grow more and more stronger in academics, has made us think really hard about r2i.

FOR ALL PARENTS, WHO FEEL THAT THEIR KIDS ARE GOOD IN ACADEMICS, let this be my THOUGHT- SHARE TO YOU
    When we could all survive, in a brand new country after being in India, for more than 20-25 years, with whatever education we had (mine was state syllabus only), and with whatever, exposure our parents had and instilled in us...... WE AS PARENTS WITH A BROADER OUTLOOK CAN DEFINETLY DO IT. ATLEAST WE WILL BE DOING IT IN OUR HOME COUNTRY, WITH PARENTS AND RELATIVES NEARBY. I DONT THINK WE WILL GO WRONG, AS LONG AS WE GIVE A CORRECT MIX OF EXTRA CURRICULUM ACTIVITIES, WHICH I BELEIVE MANY SCHOOLS ARE DOING THESE DAYS.
    My parents were with me 5 months, here in Melb, before leaving for chennai 5 days ago. That was the first time, my son has been with them for so long. He has been with my parents and ILs, when they visited Singapore, but he doesnt remember that. The way he cried, when they left for the airport, still shakes me down. I had to put a brave face for him. FOR ALL PARENTS OUTSIDE INDIA..... WE CAN GIVE THEM STATE OF ART FACILITIES AND CLEAN COUNTRY....but not the love of grandparents or relatives......

(I know I went slightly off the track from this thread, so sorry guys, this is a excellent one, and lets keep it going)

Cheers
    Sumathy

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sumathy,

Thank you.. Have lot of aspiring r2i's who have so many questions. my only question is when at the age of 25/30 you could adjust in a new environment, you child is more flexible..except ofcourse teenagers. Even then when you openly talk to your child about everything, you child will accept.

I am from a ICSE board, convent educated and my husband is from a corporation run state school, today it does not make much of a difference. he is equally profiicient in expressing and is a professional in his own right.

Even in chennai, my kids have different talents, but i am not able to force t hem into all the classes for want of some quality time for them. Again it is each parents own view. I know a child who is 8 years, who goes tennis in the early morning from 5.00 to 7.00, t hen 7.00 to tution and then in the evening after coming home at 4.00 goes to music class at 5.00. so she does not have time to be kid enjoy her child hood. the weekends are for competitions and abacus.

You are right about near and dear ones..

all the best for your r2i.

10. kausha

kausha New IL'ite

Hi Shanthi & all the ladies at IL,
    First of you all are doing a great job :clap<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>..... keep up the good work!
    Now let me come to my problem..... I am a mother of two boys aged 4+ (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="11" Day="10" Year="2003">11/10/2003</st1:date>) and 14months (<st1:date Month="5" Day="12" Year="2006">05/12/2006</st1:date>) currently
    residing in Italy.I along with my husband we have decided education in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> for my kids BUT…….most probably it would be after 2years. I am Sri Lankan but Indian Origin ( Paternal and Maternal Grandparents are Indian Citizens )
    We would be applying for OCI ( Overseas Citizenship Of India ) very shortly and economic reasons too ….

Now coming to the REAL problem is….. am preparing myself to gather all information about schools and admission procedures etc….
    I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT INDIAN SCHOOL ADMISSIONS,cbse, matriculation, fee, possibility in applying from Overseas etc, Is an International good for the beginning and later get to another school? If so which school !!! :eek:mg:.And the worst is we have to find accommodation, school etc… I have so many question running through my head like What’s the age limit for Grade 1 ? Lets say we come to <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>
    My son is at the moment following an <st1:place><st1:placeName>Italian</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>School</st1:placeType></st1:place> and he speaks Italian. He knows alphabets and numbers in English but speaks very few in English.
    But am sure he could improve and I would help him with it…..he was a late speaker too.
    I just don’t know what to do…… I mean its like moving to a very new place without knowing anything…” KANNA KATTI KAATLA VITTA MAADIRI ”bonk
    I myself did London Exams in Sri Lanka ( Affiliated to University Of London ) that’s GCSE and then A/L etc….
    I don’t know what am writing and where to start !!! Pls advise and give me your opinions ….I know there’s a lot of time but I don’t want to wait till the last minute.
    Better be prepared…… Also I would like to add that I would be shifting to <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> with my mother to help, my husband would come back to <st1:country-region><st1:place>Italy</st1:place></st1:country-region> ( obviously to earn! )

Thanks so much in advance to everyone who replies…..

Have a nice day!
    Kausha Bow