1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

School District- Expensive

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Vedhavalli, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    This academic year my kid will attend kindergarten.
    My current school district isn't so great, it's avg rating is 6 out of 10.
    I'm not happy with it based on my research and feedback from others.
    Near by another school district is very good and has a positive image with more Asian crowd.
    Only constraint I have is rent of apartment and condo are very very expensive. That too smaller space than my current apartment.
    What should I do?
    Some say I can give fake address and go to good school. I don't want to do that.
    Is moving to same school district is the only option?
    Suggestions welcome!

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For elementary school, don't worry so much about rating. 6 is kind of low, 7 would be OK, but, in the lower grades, more than the school's rating, what matters is the teacher your child has, and the connection between teacher, child and parents. At this age, supplementing the school education at home by parent or outside classes is quite doable.

School with higher rating and more Asian crowd comes with its own pros and cons. School management is less amenable to requests from parents, they are tired of catering to pushy Asian parents.

Fake address to go to good school - not advisable. Though, it is more common than we think. The consequences on being found out are not worth it. Above all, it is plain breaking the law.

sindmani and Vedhavalli like this.