School corporal punishments in India

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Chandra70, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Chandra70

Chandra70 New IL'ite

:hide:Althicough there is an official ban on C.P,in schools in India,we do hear reports of the practice.It is practised more in rural schools.Such punishments are more of caning chiidren indiscriminately and not methodocal six of the best as was in vogue in U.K. and in some public schools in India. Lot of contraversy arose when a boy got 2/3 strokes on his bottom for exploding a gas bomb in an elite school in Calcutta.The incident was minor and would not have been noticed but for the boy committing suicide 3 days later for the reasons best known to him. Irn my opinion,,the teachers were right in meting out a mild punishment for an act of gross indiscipline.With youth getting more and more unruly with poorly paid teachers made a mute spectatorx,there is a strong case of reintroduction of C.P in schools with the Govt. framing definite rules as to the circumstances it should be awarded,quantum,which part of antomy to be hit(preferably buttocks).numger of strokes etc, as has been done in Singapore/Malaysia.----Chandra

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Kids should not be hit. Period. No ifs and buts, and no parts of anatomy. Can we choose parts of anatomy where adults can be hit too?

Corporal punishment is outlawed in many countries (you can be arrested), and (hopefully) it is outlawed in India too.

The poor kids are defenseless, and maybe unable to defend when they are abused like this. Try caning an adult who can defend himself or herself! They'll kick back at the person trying to cane them.

And all the abuse happens under the "We are all doing it only for the good of the child". Yeah, right! Stop taking frustrations out on a defenseless kid. There are other ways of disciplining a child which is more humane!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

i second SP.Children shd not hit,they can punish in other ways but not hitting.

4. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

No Chandra. teachers in my opinion were absolutely not right in beating this little kid. he could have been sent out of the class.

In a similar case, a girl child lost her eye sight in one eye - see

I read a case where a 3 yr old kid was burnt with cigrettes n stuff. If I were the police, I would burn them alive for hurting this kid.