1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

School Admission: What A Battle

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamrakshar, Dec 15, 2018.

1. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

hey...greegbay !
    congrats!
    love the names.

@Tamrakshar what an article ! although your opinion of wife although soaked in humor isn't very nice. and who is Ira :)

Tamrakshar likes this.
  2. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Yes, Satchi ji, the idea of home school is good. In my time, the importance of school reached the nadir in West Bengal. The education became private-tutor oriented. The situation might have improved a tad now.

Well, you have a point when you say the schools should not be choosy about pupils, as they have the responsibility to make bright students out of them. From another point of view, like a good manufacturer needs high quality raw materials to produce high quality products, a good school needs better brains to produce better results.

satchitananda likes this.
  3. Tamrakshar

Ashima thanks for your opinion! Well, every woman has positives and negatives! I may deal with her positives in a separate blog.

4. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Sure ! I will wait....

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Tamrakshar,

I know this will ruin my reputation here in IL, if there is anything left. But I can't avoid sharing it. When I was 4 years old, my mother decided to admit me into Ramakrishna Mission Elementary School in T.Nagar, Chennai. Our house was walking distance from the school. My mother took me to the school and met the principle who happens to be a Swamiji. Swamiji explained that I was too young to join Std 1 as there were no Pre KG, UKG and LKG those days. Seeing Swamiji refusing to admit me, I took one Ana in my pocket and offered it to Swamiji for admitting me to the school. My mother was terrified for insulting Swamiji but Swamiji took it lightly and admitted me seeing my interest to join school. My family was making fun of me for years that I started the corruption in Tamil Nadu schools in 1958.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

That was one very tense, nail-biting suspense @Tamrakshar

While I am glad that your daughter got into the school of choice, my thoughts go out to those who are not so fortunate. My heart goes out to the parents who have to go this turmoil and mental agony.

Is this just a result of supply and demand or pure extortion capitalizing on parents' wish for quality education for their children?

startinganew and Tamrakshar like this.
  7. Tamrakshar

That was indeed amazing Viswamitra ji! I thought I have read it in some of your snippets or maybe in your reply earlier. The head quarter of Brilliant Tutorials was situated in T Nagar in Tamil Nadu in my student days (I don't know whether it has changed now or not). You have to be a brilliant student, as we can see from your posts. Thanks for sharing this amazing incident.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Tamrakshar

Thanks Kamala ji for your feedback. In my daughter's school, 100 candidates were selected among 850 aspirants. Fortunately, the admission fee along with fees for first quarter is less than 40000 rupees. This is a Christian Missionary school. But yes, there are certain schools where they charge more than a lakh per student.

9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

What a delightful read! I enjoyed every line of your snippet. But I must admit that the parts about Tinni made me smile the most.

You are blessed to have such a wonderful family. And we are fortunate to read about them.

ashima10 and Tamrakshar like this.
  10. Tamrakshar

Thanks Amica for your response! Yes, both sisters love each other. Very recently, the elder one got a trophy in drawing competition. When she came back, Rai was the first one to hug her. In recent times, Tinni got a bit jittery because of my excessive praise for Rai. Actually, Tinni is a normal student, but Rai is very bright. Despite knowing the ill effects it can cause, I can't stop comparing the two.

Amica likes this.